Here you’ll find travel reports about Nihon’ōdōri. Discover travel destinations in Japan of travelers writing a travel blog on FindPenguins.

10 travelers at this place:

  • Day26


    June 3, 2016 in Japan

    I really like the landscape parks in the bigger cities. They are basically an escape from the crowdedness and noise from the city streets. I found one online that looked pretty cool and was not too far away: Koishikawa korakuen. This park next to the Tokyo Sky Dome is relatively large for a park. The entrance fee was only 300 yen so i decided to go in. The park is dotted with lakes and ponds and bridges connect several small islands. The parks abundant trees allowed for some nice strolling in the shade. I gues it's not that popular with the younger crownd in Tokyo since most people were way over 60. After an hour walking around i had seen the entire park and thought it was time to go to Yokohma.
    Even though Yokohama is pretty close to Tokyo and it's actually pretty hard to see where one city begins and the other ends, i had not yet visited this place. There was nothing of my particular interest so i decided to go to the rebuillt harbour district. This used to be a big port with warehouses but has been converted to a huge shopping center with theme park and loads of restaurants. It was only a half hour trainride from my hostel to the harbour district. These last couple of days have been really warm and as i got out of the airconditioned train and the hot humid air made me sweat almost immediately. It took some time for me to figure out where to go which is not unusual with a lot of signs that are mostly in kanji. But with a little help from Google maps i found my bearings and set off into the harbor district. The first half hour of walking took me through various huge and expensive shopping malls. Interesting to see but not my cup of tea. I walked passed the theme park where i could hear the kids screaming as they rushed down in one of the rollercoasters. I read somewhere online that the red brick warehouses contained sever very interesting restaurants and i decided to check it out. Halfway to the warehouses i suddenly heard a lady screaming for joy at a truck that was parked at the side of the road. As i got closer I realised this was not a regular truck. The movie Deadpool had just been released in Japan and so a huge deadpool statue in an interesting pose was placed on this truck and then just driven around town. Meanwhile the soundtack for the movie was screaming out of the speakers. Aahh yes these are the kind of things that make me love Japan. I took some quick pictures and went on to the red brick warehouses. It was getting really hot and uncomfortable in the sun and that gave me a good excuse to go into a restaurant for some lunch. I checked several restaurants before choosing one that sells Hawaiian burgers which is basically a burger with avocado. But boy is it delicious! I took some time to really enjoy and let the food settle for a bit before heading of to Yokohmama's chinatown. This is one of Japans biggest chinatowns and it shows. Literally dozens of streets litterd with shops and restaurants that serve chinese food. I found a nice and colorfully decorated temple and walked around in the backstreets some more before going back to the station and joining Jimmy and some other guests in yet another drinking session at Nui's.
    Read more

  • Day13

    A slower start again and we packed up our bags, checked out and had the hotel store the bags for us. It was a clear day again, we checked some web cams and decided to head back to Enoshima Island for our best chance of a view. We got took the train to Fujisawa and from here jumped on the Enoshima Electric railway for the 10 min journey to Enoshima. Another walk back through town to the bridge and here were were able to see Mt Fuji!!!

    Our view was not clear, but you could make out the shape of it in the haze and see the snow off to one side. Being Sunday the place was quite busy, and thankfully not as windy as last time. The bay had lots of little sailing boats out and the shore was lined with surfers. It was a pleasant morning. The kids voted to ride the monorail back, so we returned to Yokohama around 12:30pm. From here we headed back to Coco curry for our last good meal before heading to the airport.

    We ended up at the train station early, so we yried to move our NEX reservation to an earlier train. This was a bit of a debacle as the counter girl proceeded to cancel our reservation in the vending machine, then couldn't rebook us new reservations. A trek across the station saw a mega long line that would make us miss the earlier train. So we jumped on the early one - as its usually near on empty.. except this one time. At Tokyo a flood of people embarked, we split up but managed to get seats. When the ticket man came through it was no issue, he just adjusted it on his machine.

    At Narita we waited about 10mins for check in to open, then Jason was called over the PA. His bag had the lithium go pro batteries in it. Once they were removed it was all good. There's always one issue each trip. We then went over to terminal 2 for a walk and bit of food. Then came back to terminal 3 ready to board.
    Read more

  • Day34

    הצ'יינהטאון הכי גדולה ביפן. אני מתה על צ'יינהטאון'ס אז ממש התלהבתי לבוא לבקר פה!

    זה היה כמו צ'יינהטאון סטנדרטית רק מינוס האנשים, הרעש וההמולה. אז בעצם לא כמו צ'יינהטאון בכלל.

    שוק עם מוצרים באיכות made in china ואוכל ממוצע. מאכזב.

  • Day8

    We left a rainy Nagoya after a sleep in and caught the 9:26am shinkansen to Tokyo.

    Once in Tokyo we stashed the bags in a locker and the pram at baggage storage (too tall for a locker). Then we headed out into the rain and cold to Tsukiji fish market so hubby could get a knife.

    Just before 3pm we had all our possessions back and were on a train to Kannai (the closest station to our Yokohama hotel). A stop beforehand we spontaneously made the decision to jump off the train at Yokohama so hubby could get his "duty free" allowance of alcohol.

    By 5pm we were at Kannai and set off again (this time fully loaded) to trek through the constant rain to our hotel for the night - Hotel Monterey Yokohama. Where we arrived like drowned rats (even with umbrellas). Its a nice place and we have a triple with harbour views.

    After a hot shower we looked on maps for the closest place to eat. We were dreading treking through the rain again. Google maps delivered a soba noodle restaurant about 4 buildings away. So off we set. Once there they had an english menu and an unusual offering - all noodle sizes were the same price. Your choice was medium, large or Mt fuji size. Of course hubby had a go at Mt fuji, while the kids devoured a whole bowl of udon.

    This is our last night in Japan in a hotel. Its supposed to be sunny tomorrow. Fingers crossed as it was bloody freezing and miserable today being so wet.
    Read more

  • Day9

    Day 9 - Yokohama, Japan

    April 12, 2017 in Japan

    After a night of a bed hopping 3yr old, hubby woke me at 5:15am to see the sunrise over Yokohama harbour. He then woke us all up at 6:30am for our last day.

    We walked along the promenade where the Yokohama flower festoval had the most spectacular displays and the weather was fantastic.

    We continued to walk to the Red Brick Warehouse, around it and past the Cosmo world park. It was 9am and we were hungry so we found food. We realised we were close to the landmark tower, and it had just opened. So up we went. The views were spectacular and it was pretty quiet bar a school group. The day was clear and gorgeous (but still no sighting of Fuji, just every other landmark).

    After that we jumped on a train one stop to Yokohama station and let the kids loose again in the toy section of Yodabashi. Loaded up we headed back to the hotel to collect our bags and walk back to Kannai station. At 3:29 we jumped on a Nex for the airport. Very glad to rest our weary legs.

    So at the airport we had anothet 'us' moment. We checked the bags and went to oversize baggage when we realised the wifi accessories and return envelope were in the side pocket. I raced back to the counter to see the bag heading away. The nice a check in attendant grabbed it for me. Envelope retrieved, lesson learned. Return the wi-fi at terminal 2. At least it was far less stressful than last years alcohol in carry on fiasco.

    After sitting in the airport eating much loved udon, we weee ushered through a different security line (where the children were made to remove their shoes). So we used the last of our yen on some ghibli toys for the kids. See you on the other side.
    Read more

  • Day31

    Von Beginn der Reise hatten mich die Präsentationen der Speisen vor vielen japanischen Restaurants fasziniert. Viele der Plastikmodelle sehen den tatsächlichen Speisen so zum Verwechseln ähnlich, dass bestimmt schon manch einer heimlich mal probiert hat.
    Für mich grenzt das bereits sehr an Kunst - auf jeden Fall bereitet es mir immer wieder Freude, mir die Ausstellungsvitrinen und Schaufenster anzugucken.

    Nichts auf den folgenden Fotos ist wirklich essbar gewesen.
    Read more

  • Day253


    October 17, 2017 in Japan


You might also know this place by the following names:

Nihon’ōdōri, Nihon'odori, にほんおおどおり

Join us:

FindPenguins for iOS FindPenguins for Android

Sign up now