United States
Town of Hempstead

Discover travel destinations of travelers writing a travel journal on FindPenguins.
Travelers at this place
    • Day 3

      Day 3 / Islanders-Devils UBS arena

      March 27, 2023 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 6 °C

      Premiere journee sport de la.semaine avec le match entre les Islanders et les Devils de nos 4 copains Suisse, bien que Schmid soir retourner en AHL.
      Superbe arena neuve vraiment bien adaptee au hockey bon un peu loin de Midtown NY, 30 minutes de train.
      Les Devils sont sorti de leur torpeur un peu tard face a une equipe qui devait gagner pour esperer aller en playoffs.
      A part ca le sport au USA faut etre riche, 21$ la canette de 7dl de Coors Light ou d'Heineken ou 8$ le Hot Dog
      Read more

    • Day 4

      Das fängt ja gut an

      June 1, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

      Gestern sind wir von Manhattan aus mit dem Zug nach Midtown gefahren um das Wohnmobil zu übernehmen. Das war echt spannend 😂. Wir haben es nämlich geschafft, trotz extremstem Zeitpuffer genau eine Minute vor Abfahrt im Zug zu sitzen. Wir haben immer wieder den falschen Aufzug in den Untergrund genommen und sind bei den falschen Gleisen ausgekommen 😇, komplett verrückt diese Stadt. Letztlich sind wir dann über "Linden", jaaa so heisst wirklich ein Viertel hier, nach Midtown und haben ein absolutes mega Womo bekommen. Slide out, Dunstesse, Backofen, Mikrowelle, Platz für 5 Erwachsene und zwei Kinder... Zwei Klassen über dem, was wir bezahlt haben und richtig viel cooler 😊. Trotzdem begann dann der vermutlich größte Stress unseres Urlaubes. New York will natürlich auf den meisten Straßen keine Womos haben. Das weiß aber das Navi nicht und es hat uns auch niemand gesagt bei der Übergabe. Also fuhren wir los, das erste Schild "max. fünf Tonnen" hat mir schon kein gutes Gefühl bereitet. Alle erzählen ja immer, dass sie mit ihren Womos um 3,5 t kämpfen... Naja, ich dachte 5 könnte so grad noch hinkommen....(wir haben 6,5 t ohne Gepäck wie wir jetzt wissen). Man kann ja eh nicht in Ruhe nachdenken bei diesem wahnsinnigen Verkehr. Dann kam das "for passenger cars only" Schild. Wir konnten aber nicht mehr die Spur wechseln um rauszukommen und hier ist ja alles immer nur one way auf den großen Straßen. Also sind wir erstmal am ersten Parkplatz rausgefahren und haben uns schockiert angeguckt 😂. Hier kommen aber sofort gefühlt ein Dutzend Menschen angerannt zum helfen wenn man ratlos aussieht. So auch in diesem Fall. Sie haben uns dann erklärt wie wir wieder schnellstmöglich legal werden und uns direkt den ganzen Weg bis Long Island erklärt. Es gab nur noch eine Möglichkeit da wegzukommen. Es war ein furchtbarer Weg, gefühlt durch die Bronx und es hat stundenlang gedauert. 60km in 2,5 Stunden. Absoluter Horrorfilm. Und wir mussten immer höllisch aufpassen nicht dem Navi zu glauben, was uns immer wieder auf parkways führen wollte. Die sollen wir hier um New York aber nicht fahren. Letztlich waren wir endlich raus und völlig fertig. Thildi hat wirklich gebrüllt 😪😥und ich konnte ihr nicht helfen weil ich Bernd helfen musste und anhalten konnte man nun wirklich nicht... Keine Ahnung wie Bernd uns da heile rausgefahren hat. Zauberei oder so.... Horror echt. Es wird hier nämlich auch ständig und immer gehupt. Überall hupen alle 🙄. So aus Spaß oder so. Keine Ahnung 🤷‍♂️ Wir haben dann schnell gekocht und die Kinder wenigstens auf den Spielplatz gelassen. Max findet seine Alkove meeega spannend und Thildi hat uns hoffentlich auch verziehen. Heute gibt's von gestern nur wenige Bilder. Ich hatte keine Lust mehr zu fotografieren 🙄. Gleich starten wir dann in den Tag!Read more

    • Day 14

      Last Day in New York - Maybe?

      July 13, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

      This morning we have a family tour of the World Trade Center Memorial and Museum scheduled for 11:30. We are driving the car down to a parkade just a block from the site. I pre-booked that online a while ago. The drive from our hotel in Yonkers is easy and takes us about 45 mins.

      We are welcomed by our tour guide and joined by about ten others on the tour. She gives us each headsets so that we can easily hear what she has to say as we tour. We spend about 1/2 hour on the site and learn a bit about the design of the memorial. The two pools in place where the north and south towers once stood are very impressive. The next thirty minutes are inside the museum where we are given information about the terror attack and the extent of the damage and lives lost. We are then left to explore the rest of the museum on our own. It is a very well organized exhibit with lots of photos, videos and artifacts salvaged from the ruins. The museum is deep underground at the level of where the foundations of the original buildings were located.

      From here we began another walking tour. This one was in a travel book of NYC we purchased long before we left. It took us through the heart of the financial district, along Wall Street and ended at Battery Park. We passed many historic buildings along the way. After a short break, we made our way to the nearest Metro station and caught the train to Union Square. The plan now was to see some more sights in the area, but also to find a large, recommended vintage and consignment clothing shop called "Beacon's Closet". It wasn't too far before we found it. Very popular and very crowded. Jaden and Aaron both found sneakers.

      We continued touring the Soho and Greenich Village neighborhoods. Ate a delicious lunch and found a few more shops of interest. It was then time to take the Metro back to where we had parked our car. We initially headed in the wrong direction and got off at a stop soon after finding out. Sadly, at that stop we did not have the option to go back. So, we had to wait for the next train, go two more stops in the wrong direction and then transfer to the train that would take us in the right direction. Luckily, we had lots of time to get to the airport. Lots and lots of time!

      We had to wait a few more minutes to get our car back once we arrived at the pickup location. It is a valet service and I was instructed to text ahead of time so that car would be ready on arrival. I'm not sure what went wrong. There was no apology or reason given. Again, it was all good because we had lots and lots of time before our flight would leave.

      The drive was a it unnerving at the start. It was dark. It was very busy. And, the GPS was lagging making it problematic when you had to make many quick turns to stay on course. Once over the Brooklyn Bridge, however, traffic thinned out and it was much less stressful. We arrived at our car rental drop off location. I had to go in and see the manger regarding a parking violation from yesterday that had nothing to do with me and everything to do with the fact that the car did not have valid insurance, or at least did not have a current sticker on the license plate. The manager was very apologetic and told me she would take care of it. So far, this had been a fairly good day, considering it was Friday the 13th!

      From here we hauled our luggage to the Airtrain for a short ride to Terminal 1 where we would check in with Phillipine Airlines. It was still a couple hours before the flight was to leave so I wasn't too concerned about the fact that no one was yet available to check us in. While waiting, I decided to take a look at the recent reminder email I had received for the airline. To my astonishment, we were a day early! When I announced the finding to the family they thought I was joking. Soon, however, they realized that I was not.

      I was not popular. I expected that response. Nobody was happy. Least of all, me! I felt that I had done a pretty good job of planning and organizing this trip. It had all gone according to plan. Until now. I did not want this to be the defining moment of our last, full family trip. All I could do was apologize and go about finding a solution to our problem. It took several phone calls, but eventually I managed to find a hotel nearby with a room for us. They would even send their shuttle bus out to the airport to pick us up and drive us to the hotel. I breathed a sigh of relief. But the dilemma was not yet completely resolved.

      On arrival at the hotel, we checked in and found that there were two double beds and no cot, as promised. I called the front desk and was told that it was not possible to bring in a cot. I explained that I had been promised that the room would be fine for the five of us and that a cot would be provided. The fellow that made the promise worked out of the central reservations, not the hotel, however. To spare you more details, suffice it to say that I successfully plead my case and we ended up getting a second room at no extra cost. Now we could finally relax and get a decent nights sleep.
      Read more

    • Day 1

      Gruezi from New York

      September 7, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

      Uneventful flight. Seats on Swiss planes are quite confortable so those 8 hours in the air did not feel like a long journey.
      Manhattan now (once we get pas security, border control, and the horde of fans awaiting us at the airport).Read more

    • Day 12

      National History Museum and Ice Hockey

      January 6, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

      Awesome day at the national history museum! We then trekked it out to long islanded to watch the NY Islanders play ice hockey. Brilliant game and atmosphere with Islanders winning 1-0!

    • Day 8

      Football Day

      January 2, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

      7.30 Steven und Natalia holen uns ab fürs Football Game , Jets gegen Bucs im MetLife Stadium.
      Sie haben fürs uns alle ein Tailgate gebucht.
      Platz im Bus, Getränke for free und Barbeqeu am Parkplatz.

    You might also know this place by the following names:

    Town of Hempstead

    Join us:

    FindPenguins for iOSFindPenguins for Android