Riversleigh Fossil Centre -Mt IsaMay 9 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C
Riversleigh World Heritage site, which Sir David Attenborough described as a treasure house of palaeontology, attracts palaeontologists from the world over. The fossil deposits are one of Australia's richest and most important fossil field discoveries. Twenty-five million years ago, the area was a lush rainforest teaming with life and included the ancient ansestors of our koalas and kangaroo together with other flauna and fauna specimens.
Mt Isa's Riversleigh Fossil Center provides easy way to get a better understanding of the sorts of animals whose fossils have been discovered at Riversldigh 250ks away, via its state of the art facility and interactive displays.
* The importance of fossils.
* Short faced kangaroo ( Rhizosthenurus flanneryi ) approx 12 million years ago.
* The madtsoiid snake was a giant predator, similar in size to a South American Anaconda.
* Palorchestes was a large marsupial that probably used it's huge claws and trunk like snout to feed on leaves and twigs of the trees.
* Ancient koalas, Nimiokoala, had longer snouts and were about a third of the size of today's koala - they weighed only 3-4 kgs. Pic depicing the two different skull sizes.
* Marsupial lions were present in Australia at least 24million years ago.Read more