Punta de Rebordiño

Discover travel destinations of travelers writing a travel journal on FindPenguins.
Travelers at this place
    • Day 23


      August 3, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

      Régal is at the Marina in the lovely town of Muros. We spend a few days here as the weather is inclement. It is much easier to duck in and out of rain showers when you can run instead of row back to the boat. The Marina is in the centre of the town which has lovely old narrow streets to explore. The hills surrounding Muros are covered in Eucalyptus and Pine trees and there is beach 3 minutes walk from the boat. We know now why Liam and Mags Drennan it so much.
      Interestingly the yacht that was the subject of the book ‘Sailing for home’ by Theo Dorga, ‘The Spirit of Oysterhaven’ is in the boatyard here and is for sale. That book inspired us to do the Atlantic crossing 15 years ago.
      In Muros we stock up on food from the nearby shop and market. The fruit and vegetables are so good in Spain; bigger, juicer and way more delicious than any of the perfect looking specimens we get in Ireland. Ruby even says the wild blackberries we pick on our wandering side here are tastier than at home - the sunshine is a magical thing!
      Read more

    • Day 14

      Ein neuer Hafen

      October 22, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

      Luc hatte Namenstag. Wir feiern ihn aber als Geburtstag. Dann wollte er unbedingt sein Geschenk auspacken: Ein Star wars Lego-set wo man Sachen echt Abschiessen kann. Seraina und Papa haben ein Kuchen gebacken, während ich und jay zusammengebaut haben. Nachher sind wir zu den anderen Schweizer, die Freundin des Mannes ist professionelle Lehrerin in Zürich. Am nächsten Morgen hatte Papa Geburtstag. Wir gaben ihm ein gestiefelter Kater Kissen. Am morgen sind wir wieder in die Schule, nachher zum Strand. Wisst ihr eigentlich das wenn man im dunkeln ins Wasser scheint sieht mann alles ganz genau? So haben wir eine Krabbe gefangen. Wo ich und Jay ins Wasser geleuchtet haben, sahen wir 3 riesige Spinnen-krebse. Dann holten wir Papa und wollten eine fangen, aber sie würden ja gar nicht in den Kessel passen, kam uns in den sinn. Also fingen wir eine kleinere, aber die passte schon nicht richtig in den Kessel. Als wir sie dann endlich gefangen haben gingen wir gleich ins Bett. Am Morgen liessen wir ihn frei. Am Abend segelten wir los nach Muros. Dann sind wir ab ins Bett und am Morgen waren wir da. Dann sind wir ab zum Strand. Am nächsten Morgen hatten wir Schule. Chillten ein bisschen. Und Heute machten wir wieder Schule, machten eine Wasserschlacht gingen dann auf ein Hügel und Papa empfang uns dann mit Abendessen. Morgen wollen wir auf einen Berg wandern er heisst: Monte Luoro oder irgend was anderes.Read more

    • Day 41


      July 4, 2016 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

      We woke to a warm calm morning. Leaving Tony in his berth, Paddy and I headed ashore in the search of a supermarket to stock up with some provisions for today's breakfast and lunch.
      When we arrived at the supermarket it was still closed so we wandered around and saw people coming down a narrow street carrying bread. We followed the trail until we came to what looked like an ordinary house but turned out to be the bakery. We got ourselves a few ‘Spanish’ sticks, fresh from the oven and for little or nothing, less than a euro each. We wandered back to the supermarket which was now open and got the provisions before heading back to the boat.

      We left the marina at 09.40 and there was little or no wind so we motored slowly down the ria enjoying the scenery which reminded me of West Cork with the rocky outcrops and green fields.
      At the mouth of the ria we hoisted the main and began motorsailing and once out in the open sea we unfurled the genny and with the engine off, peace reigned.
      We first went north between Illa Ons and the mainland before heading north west to pass outside another island, Illa Salvora.
      Unfortunally soon after, the wind changed direction and went on the nose so we had to furl the genny and motorsail.
      At first we kept the main up until it became impossible to keep the sail full so we had to drop it and motor the remainder.

      The wind began to increase but stayed on the nose so we weren’t able to use it. It was blowing 20 knots and increased to 25 knots as we had turned into the Ria de Muros e Noia. Unfortunally the wind also veered around and was blowing straight down the ria against us so we had to keep motoring.

      We followed the north shore of the ria until we reached Muros, just around the first corner..
      Paddy had been there a number of weeks before on his own boat and told us that we needed to call the harbourmaster, Pedro, on the vhf before entering.
      Pedro was waiting for us and directed us to a berth before standing by to take our ropes.

      We were all tied up at 18.15 after a fairly pleasant day even if we didn’t get to sail for long but we didn’t have much time to relax as the Spanish Customs arrived and ‘requested’ an inspection....and if we refused??

      They were polite and professional and two went down below to search while one stayed with me in the cockpit and went through the yacht’s paperwork.
      They seemed more interested in the paperwork than the search but then this was our third port in Spain since re-entering from Portugal and if we were carrying something dodgy, we wouldn’t be hanging around, would we?
      Before they left they gave me a form to show to any other custom personnel that might wish to inspect us a second time.

      I then had to visit Pedro in the harbour office to complete booking in as the customs had pulled rank, getting in first.
      It turned out that the high season rates not surprisingly, began on the 1st of July and while they were reasonable, I would have thought that they would have been lower in order to attract more yachts in. The local authority have built the marina to increase tourism but it was only about 40% full while we were there. A pity as lower rates might improve things. Hopefully in the future more people will discover this part of Galicia as the local economy certainly looked as if it could do boost.

      Paddy led us ashore on a tour of Muros (pop 8,700) which is a fairly small town stretching along the shore with high hills behind. A bit like Cobh but unlike Cobh the town doesn't climb up the hills and finishes just as they begin. It’s an old harbour town whose traditional economy is based on fishing and it looked as if it had fallen on hard times.

      Paddy led us up and down every street and lane and I began to think that we'd be drawing maps for him and having an exam at the end of it. We eventually were allowed to think about food and went in search of a restaurant.
      Normally we would look for the ones that locals go to but this time that didn’t work. We were left sitting for at least 10 minutes without anyone coming near us. I know they were busy but they seemed to be ignoring us and we were too hungry to wait any longer and left.
      We headed a bit further along the shore where we found a restaurant that actually wanted customers and we ended up having a nice meal. The only downside is that they had the highlights of the F1 Austrian Grand Prix on a silent tv and the result was not what I wanted. Hamilton won.

      While we were eating, Rohan an ex colleague of Tony and mine, rang to tell me he wouldn’t be joining us on the last leg across Biscay. His son had fallen off a garage roof and was in hospital. Thankfully his son has made a complete recovery in the meantime.
      Rohan Murphy had arrived at my station a short time after me and we pounded the beat many times together. I remember talking to him about my plans to buy a yacht when I retired and of hoping to sail around the world.
      Strange that over thirty years later that Rohan is now the more experienced sailor having a couple of transatlantic's to his credit.

      We were late getting back aboard Eureka. We’re supposed to have an early start for Camarinas, which will be our last port before setting off for Ireland. Great preparation?

      We wind is still blowing twenty two knots according to the instruments at the top of the mast but it's nice and sheltered fifteen meters lower down in the cockpit. Right, better get the head down and the zzzz’s started before tomorrow.

      Leg 16 - 49 mls. Total 1665.
      Read more

    • Day 7

      Marvellous Muros

      July 8, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

      Missed the Islas cies ferry this morning but made up for it at Muros, where the oyster-laden rias meets the Atlantic in Western Galicia. Colourful houses tumble into the salty water and the beaches are heart-stoppingly beautiful with dazzling white sand, feels like Scotland and especially the Isle of Skye. Surprise festival of the sea too, much dancing and merriment on hay bales plus baby scallops and best ever pulpo. Fallen in love with Galicia so much we are staying here longer than planned.Read more

    • Day 42

      Windy Muros

      July 5, 2016 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

      We had our alarms set for 06.30 for a 07.00 start to make an early start to get up to Camarinas, about forty miles to the north of us.
      I was looking forward to rounding Cape Finisterre and getting to Camarinas where we’ll be spending two nights as we get the boat ready for the last leg of the voyage home. Finisterre means ‘The end of the earth’. Imagine being able to say you sailed around the end of the earth?

      However I was awake long before the alarm and was gloomily listening to the wind whistling in the rigging in between Paddy’s snores. Tony like me had a broken night’s sleep and I later discovered that he too had been listened to the wind.

      It had been windy yesterday but as it's usual for the wind to die down during the night, we had been hoping to take advantage of the lull and get half the journey done before the wind came up again about 11.00. Unfortunally the wind doesn't seem to have eased this time.

      Soon after, Paddy's alarm went off and I stuck my head out of the hatch to check the wind both on my face and on the wind instrument. It was in the low twentys and gusty.
      I had been checking forecasts on the iPad while lying in my berth and the new forecast had increased the wind speeds for today and tomorrow. If we didn’t leave now we were stuck till Thursday but could we leave?
      It was looking like Cascais all over again.

      Following a short crew conference we decided it would be safer to stay put and instead leave for Ireland from Muros when the wind died down on Thursday.
      There was no dissenting voices so we went back to bed and slept for another few hours.
      Even though we were now in Spain, the Portuguese Trades just will not let go!

      When we did get up, the crew were back to their usual good form.
      When they were not bitching about each other, they were bitching about me!
      There were even murmurings about Captain Bligh not being a fictional character and that he mightn't be the last skipper to be set adrift.

      We had a lazy morning preparing for the voyage home and made a list of jobs that had to be done before leaving. Basically, Tony and Paddy were going to do the jobs ashore while I did the ones aboard. Most of the provisioning we were leaving till tomorrow.

      One of the crew made a lovely salad for lunch which we ate in sun in the cockpit.

      Sometime during the day I discovered that Tony had done Spanish to leaving certificate standard while I, with a failed intermediate cert, was the one that was trying to translate as we went along.
      The crew must have being having a good laugh about that! We now have a new translator whether he likes it or not.

      We spent the afternoon wandered around Muros sussing out where we'd be getting things tomorrow.

      After showering we headed to last night’s restaurant for dinner but as often happens a second visit is never as good as the first.
      We chilled out over a few pints and as we were going nowhere tomorrow there were no alarms set.
      Read more

    • Day 43

      Shipshape in Muros

      July 6, 2016 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

      It was a lovely day when we surfaced. If it wasn’t for the forecast, we could have left today but instead we will get everything ship shape for the great voyage tomorrow.

      The ass licking continued. I was now keeping score between the two boyos.
      I got tea served up to me by Paddy while still in my berth in the aft cabin. I might have given Paddy an extra score if he had known that it's coffee I have in the morning.

      Tony and Paddy later headed ashore to do the shopping still giving out to each other about who was the sucking up to the skipper more while I went for diesel.

      I decided it was easier to bring diesel to the boat instead of the boat to the diesel. We hadn’t used much since we filled up in Vigo but it still took two trips with a jerry-can in each hand over to the end of the pier before I had the tank full to the brim. I think my arms have stretched a bit.
      We now had enough to get us to Roches Point even if we have to motor all the way but just to be sure I also refilled the jerry cans.

      The crew brought back an ice cream to me after they had finished the shopping.
      Are they no lengths that this crew will go to keep the skipper happy?
      Long may it continue is all I can say!

      We decided to add to the alcohol store that Norma had started.
      No, nothing was missing from Norma's stock. We had resisted the temptation of even going looking for it, we just wanted some for ourselves.
      While we saved a bit on the wine compared to Irish prices, it was the spirits that had the biggest difference in price.
      Dave Morey had asked me to get him some Jameson Whiskey as he is a bit partial to it but it appeared that the Spanish also like it as I could only find two bottles in the whole town.
      Many of the lockers were now full and the waterline was beginning to disappear.
      Seriously officer; they're for our own use!

      The lads took over the galley to cook dinners for the voyage home.
      We didn’t want to do much cooking on the journey so the lads prepared the meals and we put them in containers before freezing them in the bottom of the fridge.

      Tony made a stew with chilli while Paddy did a chicken curry but it didn’t taste like chicken!
      Paddy had told us all he was going to make a chicken curry but when he went to find some chicken, he couldn’t get any and had to make do with beef.
      The slagging lasted the rest of the voyage about the chicken curry that tasted like beef.

      Once we were satisfied that Eureka was ship shape with everything stowed and water tanks full, we headed for the showers and then in search of another restaurant for our last supper.
      We found one on one of the back streets but the staff had no English and the menus were strangely enough, also in Spanish. We ate outside and some of the owners family sat at another table eating their own dinner. It was all very informal. We had a nice meal more by luck of our choosing than by skill in translation and it was very cheap too.

      The Welsh were playing in the Euros on a tv inside. The family noticed that we were half following it, so once we were finished dinner we were invited in to have a better view. We left a nice tip and as a result the lady of the house insisted in topping up our beers before we were allowed to leave. We went happily back to the boat to sleep it off.
      Read more

    You might also know this place by the following names:

    Punta de Rebordiño, Punta de Rebordino

    Join us:

    FindPenguins for iOSFindPenguins for Android