Phankham Museum

Here you’ll find travel reports about Phankham Museum. Discover travel destinations in Thailand of travelers writing a travel blog on FindPenguins.

24 travelers at this place:

  • Day287

    Chiang Mai: Weihnachts-Kochkurs

    December 24, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Am späten Nachmittag des 23. Dez kamen wir (zum dritten Mal) in Chiang Mai an. Der Plan war uns mit Charlie auf dem berühmten Sunday‘s Walking Market zu treffen, denn sie wollte mit uns für ihren kleinen Laden in Frankreich shoppen gehen. Hochmotiviert machten wir uns auf Richtung Zentrum, um nach unserer Ankunft dort im Menschlichen Stau festzustecken. Man konnte kaum einem Fuß vor den anderen setzen und so quälten wir uns schleichend durchs Getümmel. Wir hatten Hunger und die Schlangen an den Ständen waren ewig lang. Wir versuchten auch Charline zu treffen, doch da sie sich am anderen Ende des Marktes, Nur ca 700m aber bei den Memschenmassen wahrscheinlich 1h entfernt befand, verließen wir die überfüllte Innenstadt wieder und aßen außerhalb. Chrissis Veganer chicken burger 🌱🐔🍔 war super lecker, doch Jules Laab schmeckte leider nach nichts... Zum Glück hatten wir jedoch für den nächsten Tag einen Thai Kochkurs 👩‍🍳 gebucht. Eigentlich hatten wir gedacht wir lernen dort kochen und vielleicht auch ein paar nette Leute kennen, um mit ihnen den Weihnachtsabend zu verbringen. Wir stiegen also ins Auto und stellten schnell fest, dass wir die einzigen Kochschüler des Tages waren. Wir ließen uns aber nicht entmutigen und hatten so die Köchin und ihre 4 Helferinnen ganz für uns allein. Wir machten frische und frittierte Frühlingsrollen, 2 verschiedene Suppen 🍲und Curries (Chrissi hatte sich ohne es zu wissen das schärfste aller scharfen ausgesucht 🙈), 🍜Pad Thai, 🍲Fried Rice mit Gemüse und Cashewnuts und frittierte Banane 🍌und Kürbis. Da wir gerade mal die Hälfte unserer Kreationen schaffen konnten, wurde der Rest eingepackt und wir kamen mit einem riesigen Fresspaket 📦 wieder im Hostel an. Auf dem allabendlichen Markt erstand Jule endlich ihr lang-bewundertes und heiss-ersehntes Weihnachtsgeschenk: einen schicken Rucksack! 🎒 Nach den weihnachtlichen Skype-Dates mit unseren lieben 💕 zuhause, machten wir es uns auf der Couch 🛋 bequem und verbrachten seit Ewigkeiten mal wieder einen gemütlichen Abend vor dem Fernseher 📺- sogar mit Netflix 😬. Am ersten Weihnachtsfeiertag bummelten wir durch die Stadt, Chrissi gönnte sich eine Pediküre und abends gingen wir lecker essen auf dem Nachtmarkt.Read more

  • Day89

    Chiang Mai

    July 9, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    We only spent a brief 1 day & night in Chiang Mai but long enough to go to the elephant sanctuary which was an amazing experience. We got to feed, wash in mud & then clean in a waterfall the elephants. At one point the baby charged at me which was a bit scary though! We went to the Sunday night market which is really famous but it poured the whole time so we didn’t stay long.Read more

  • Day115

    S̄wạs̄dī North Thailand!

    July 24, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 88 °F

    Day 1
    The rest of the slow boat gang were going straight to Chiang Mai so I bid farewell to them in the morning and got the local bus to Chiang Rai, just a couple hours away. It was quite a nice change getting a local bus as opposed to the big long distance buses or minivans I’ve been used to until now. The bus was quite old and small and I was definitely the only tourist in it. I almost had felt like Red at the end of the Shawshank Redemption when he gets the bus out to field with the big tree, mainly because it went though the countryside and was old, not that I had jus been released from prison... Anyway, after a couple hours we reached Chiang Rai and I was pleased to find that the bus station was actually in the entire of town (not always the case here) so I was able to walk to my hostel. After checking in I asked about the bus times to the White Temple, the main tourist sight here, and headed back to the bus station. I found the right bus easily and got on, followed by a handful more tourists. Just a short ride outside of the town we got off on the side of the main road and followed the trail of tourists heading to the temple. Wat Rong Khum, to give it its official name, is actually a contemporary, slightly unconventional private art exhibit which was designed and built in the style of a Buddhist temple by artist Chalermchai Kositpipat. From the outside the building looks like a very pristine, shimmering white temple. But inside the main building is where it’s really weird as the walls are covered in bizarre murals. At first glance it looks like any spiritual paintings but then you notice images of Michael Jackson and Harry Potter. The most bizarre is definitely George Bush riding a rocket. Very odd indeed. After marvelling at temple of madness of a while I headed back to the city for an early dinner. The temple is pretty much the main thing to see in Chiang Rai so I decided to spend the rest of the evening relaxing at my hostel, taking advantage of the air conditioning and WiFi.

    Day 2
    I got the late morning bus to Chiang Mai and arrived at the bus station in the outskirts of the city at around 2pm. I refuse to pay the extortionate price for a tuk tuk to my hostel so managed to find a local bus that would take me there for a tenth of the price. Win for the day! When I arrived at the hostel I was greeted by probably the friendliest woman ever, Jaidee. She owned the hostel with her English boyfriend. And when she found out I was from England too she said “welcome home” and gave me a big hug. After she showed me to my room I relaxed for a while before going down to the cafe for an early dinner. I felt that I was starting to get a scratchy throat so I decided to have an early night, hoping I’d feel better in the morning.

    Day 3
    Unfortunately I didn’t feel better when I woke up. I think all the traveling eventually caught up with me and I just felt really run down. So sadly I had my first sick day and stayed in the hostel for the day. All I can say is I’m glad I was ill at that hostel with Jaidee around. Every time I came down from my room for food or a drink she’d feel my forehead and ask if I was ok. So sweet. Even though I wasn’t able to see any of the city that day, the rest was a welcome break. I was sure after keeping hydrating and eating enough during the day I’d feel back to normal again in the morning.

    Day 4
    Thankfully I woke up feeling much better and well enough to explore the city. After a very welcome english breakfast of beans on toast (I’m pretty sure it was even warburtons bread too!) I headed out for the day to visit Chiang Mai’s many temples. Unlike the White Temple, the temples here are very old, some of which dating back to 14th century. As there are so many to chose from, on Jaidee’s recommendation I visited Wat Chedi Luang (a huge stone temple, where the small temple in front had a sign saying women aren’t allowed in as they menstruate), Wat Lok Molee (the three tiered wooden temple guarded by two elephant statues) and Wat Phra Singh (which was renovated in the 19th century so looks more modern than the others). In between temple visits I stopped at a vegan restaurant for lunch and to buy some of their baked goods for later. On the way back to the hostel after being temples out I stumbled across a huge vintage clothing shop and enjoyed a good half an hour rummaging through the clothing rails. Sadly due to luggage constraints I had to contain myself and walk away empty handed. It’s nice to know that the second hand trade is not just a European thing. Back at the hostel I got chatting to an English couple in the common area and after a few minutes discovered that although they live in Bristol they’re both from Torquay. How weird! We spent the next while reminiscing about home. After a while Jaidee popped in and said we should go to the night market so we headed out to have a look. As with most night markets in Asia there are the usual food and souvenir stalls to browse. We stopped at one food stall and had some noodles for dinner and continued to chat about each other’s trip, they also gave me tips on Pai where I was headed next. After walking the length of the market, avoiding buying any souvenirs, we headed back to the hostel to pack for our onward travels.

    Day 5
    I got the late morning minibus to Pai and had yet another awful windy bus journey. I’m not usually one to get car sick, but this was a windy of windiest roads, so by the time we got to Pai (three hours later) I was feeling pretty queasy. Luckily Pai itself is pretty small so I only had a two minute walk to my hostel and soon found myself having a lie down in a large bamboo hut with 8 beds on each side. I had a nap to sleep off the nausea and woke up feeling well enough to venture to the famous backpacker walking street to sample the culinary treats Pai had to offer. Pai is the backpacking hub of Thailand with about 90% of its inhabitants on a day being tourists. Walking down the main street you’d be hard pressed to find any locals, other than those manning the food stalls. Thanks to happy cow I found a small falafel stall and got myself a huge falafel pita. Next to the falafel stall was a fresh fruit smooth stall so I got a mixed smoothie too and headed back to my bamboo hut to enjoy my dinner on the porch looking out at the river. And FYI the falafel was the best I’ve ever had. After dinner it was time for an early night so I was rested for a full day exploring tomorrow.

    Day 6
    I was up early feeling well rested and ready to explore the nature surrounding Pai. After walking around the village for twenty minutes I eventually found shop renting bicycles instead of mopeds. I should have taken that as a read flag that in the whole village there were about twenty shops renting mopeds and only one renting bicycles. Blissfully ignorant I set off out of the village towards pai canyon, the main attraction in the area. Clearly I had mentally blocked out the car ride into the town due to feeling sick and forgot that not only were the roads windy but also hilly. After starting off enthusiastically I soon lost energy after the first hill. I spent the next hours journey walking up the hills, cycling down the hills and sweating profusely. After much effort I finally made it to the entrance to the canyon. I took a few minutes to catch my breach and climbed the last few steps up to the canyon. Andrew me tell you, the view was definitely worth the effort. The canyon, like a mini Grand Canyon, covered a LARGE AREA, and consisted of a number of natural walkways across and around the canyon (some treacherously narrow). I spent around an hour walking around the canyon and taking in the impressive view. Many people come here for sunset, but the thought of repeating that journey was too much for me, plus it was cloudy so there wouldn’t be much of a sunset anyway. I headed back to the parking area and grabbed a quick smoothie at one of the stalls before grudgingly getting back on my bike and heading to my next destination. To be honest I was tempted to just cycle back to town, but as the next place was sort of on the way I forced myself to continue as planned. After a further hour of cycling and walking I reached the “Land Split” a unique tourist sight. In 2008 an earthquake split a farmers land right down the middle making it almost unfarmable. As a stroke of entrepreneurial genius he decided to turn it into a tourist attraction and also sell his homemade jams and teas. Although not a big area, taking just ten minutes to walk from top to bottom, it’s quite a unique place to visit, especially getting to talk to the farmer himself. While visiting I met three other travellers (an English guy, Sam, a South African guy and an Israeli girl). They were shocked that I’d cycled there as they had taken the more commonly used mopeds. The we’re going further along the road to visit the nearby waterfall and bamboo bridges and invited me along on one of their bikes. I gladly accepted as there was no way inward cycling further away from the town. The waterfall was quite small but fun to climb through the rocks to see the full height of it. Sam even took a quick swim in the water while the rest of us waited on the rocks having not brought a change of clothes. After the waterfall we continued on to the bamboo bridges. The bridges themselves were more like a ling network of bamboo walkways connecting various rice fields together. It was nice and peaceful waking along the bridges taking pictures of the rice fields. We stopped for a late lunch/early dinner at the local bamboo restaurant looking out over the fields. After our food the guys took me back to my bike, and after a few unsuccessful attempts of trying to find a way to carry my bicycle alongside their bikes so I didn’t have to cycle I thanked them for the gesture and committed to my fate of cycling back to town. The journey back didn’t seem as bad though, probably due to the fact that I know once I reached the cycle shop I wouldn’t have to cycle again, and I reached town after only twenty minutes. I headed back to my hostel for a brief rest before dinner. I couldn’t leave pai without another visit to the falafel stall so my dinner was exactly the same as the night before, smoothie and all. I also treated myself to a couple vegan spring rolls I spotted on the way back. Back on the porch again I enjoyed my dinner looking out onto the river (while also catching up on a few episodes of Grey’s Anatomy). I went to bed feeling satisfied after a full and active day.

    Day 7
    After a welcome lie in I got the late morning bus back to Chiang Mai and to my home away from home Jaidee’s house. Thankfully the bus ride wasn’t as car sick inducing and I reached Chiang Mai around 3pm. Although it was till early I decided to spend the rest of the day at the hostel planning the next leg of my journey as tomorrow I’d be flying to Myanmar.

    So there you have my week in North Thailand. Next stop Myanmar, my tenth country of this trip.

    Lā k̀xn!
    Read more

  • Day131

    131. nap: Utazás Chiang Maiba

    February 12, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ 🌙 27 °C

    Reggel önmagunkhoz képest egész gyorsan összekészültünk, a terv ugyanis az volt, hogy tovább utazunk Chiang Maiba. Sokat sejtető kérdésemre, hogy ugyan hol tudnánk egy tuk-tukot szerezni a buszpályaudvarra, a tulaj egyből kapott a lehetőségen és felajánlotta, hogy a fia kivisz minket 50 baht ellenében. Szuper, ennyit nekünk bőven megért, hogy ne kelljen hatalmas táskákkal a 30 fokban a járda nélküli utcákon szambáznunk.

    A srác két perccel később elő is került, gyorsan kipakolta az oldalkocsiból a cuccokat és intett, hogy szálljunk be. Persze most ne olyan oldalkocsis motort képzeljetek el, mint amin Jr. és Senior Indiana Jones menekültek a nácik elől, hanem egy lepusztult robogót, amire ügyes kezű hegesztők egy fémkeretet és egy plusz kereket aplikáltak. Dél-kelet Ázsiában rengeteg ilyet láttunk már, de utazni még soha sem utaztunk ilyennel - végre ezt is kipróbálhattuk!

    Mondanom se kell, a fiú a környék legnagyobb sztárja volt azzal, hogy két idegent vitt a motorján. Vicces utazás volt, de azért nem utaznék így még 20 km-t sem, mert a vasrács úgy nyomja az ember fenekét, hogy abban nincs sok köszönet. Persze erre a rövid távolságra még szódával elment.

    A pályaudvaron még gyorsan megmutatta hol tudunk buszjegyet szerezni, megbeszéltük mennyire tragikus a Man United idei szezonja (a hátsó rendszámtábláján két matrica is virított), majd búcsút intettünk egymásnak. Ezután a zöld bódénál vettünk két jegyet és leültünk a még félkész állomáson két fehér műanyag székre (az a fajta, amit otthon kerti bútornak használnak az emberek).

    A busz kicsit késett, cserébe nagyon kényelmes volt. Hatalmas lábhely, klíma, sőt még egy kis üveg ásványvizet is kaptunk az útra! Az út gyorsan eltelt, egyszer álltunk csak meg egy rövid pihenőre.

    Chiang Maiban a központtól jó messze tettek le minket, úgyhogy kénytelenek voltunk megint csak egy songthaew után nézni. Igazi lesipuskások módjára becsatlakoztunk négy másik nyugati archoz, miután a tárgyalásokon hagytuk őket érvényesülni. Jó nagy forgalom volt a belvárosban, de szerencsére nekünk már nem sokat kellett tekeregnünk a szállásig, egyből arra vette az irányt a nőci és amint jeleztünk neki, készségesen megállt hogy ki tudjunk szállni.

    A szállás és a szobánk kifejezetten kellemes meglepetést okozott: tiszta szoba és fürdő, rendes lehúzható WC (amihez Chiang Raiban nem volt szerencsénk), és még a papírt sem kellett külön gyüjtögetni. Ha még egy zuhanykabin (vagy függöny) is járt volna hozzá, szinte már otthon éreztük volna magunkat!

    Azzal, hogy ennyire szuperül sikerült Chiang Maiba megérkeznünk, maradt még sötétedés előtt egy kis időnk szétnézni a belvárosban. Végül egészen a nyugati városfalig jutottunk (közben elszürcsöltünk egy-egy elképesztően finom smoothie-t), onnan viszont visszafordultunk, hogy egy másik úton térjünk vissza. Megnéztük a helyi Bikás park megfelelőjét, ahol meglepően sokan futkároztak, tollasoztak és fociztak a hőség ellenére is. Vacsorát végül az egyik közeli helyen ettünk, ahol már annyira rá vannak állva a kínai turistákra, hogy a kirakott étlap is csak az ő nyelvükön beszélt. Cserébe tök jól főztek, úgyhogy őket is felvettük a kedvencek egyre bővülő listájára.
    Read more

  • Day13

    Cooking in chiang mai

    October 2, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Kafar leaves
    Lemon grass
    Galangar (looks similar to ginger but tastes differently)

    These are the 4 main ingredients for any soup dish in Thailand! After visiting a local market we cooked together our first thai soup tom yum goong (prawn soup with lemongrass) and it was delicious! Second dish was pad thai goong (rice noodles with prawn) and then red curry paste and finally sticky mango rice, my favorite dessert in thailand :)
    Our teacher was one of those people who enjoyed eating and cooking a lot! He is very ambitious and even created his own app with all his recipes on it (red chili cooking school, it's for free and you can find around 40 thai recipes, unfortunately at the moment only for iphone)
    Read more

  • Day87

    Chiang Mai

    January 15 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    After checking out Chiang Rai we made the three hour bus ride to Chiang Mai. The place was a quite a bit bigger than Chiang Rai but still had a laid back vibe.

    We had plans while we were here to sort out our CV’s and reach out to recruiters since we were about three weeks away from reaching London. But our good intentions went out the window pretty quickly after our first day was spent at the swimming pool and enjoying a few brews.

    We continued on our almost once a day massage routine in Chiang Mai. Although besides the relaxing here we did manage to hike through some of the Chiang Mai mountains, passing through strawberry fields, tea fields and small villages. The place looks a lot different to what it did 20 years ago with the villages within the mountains previously being largely reliant on opium production.

    We really enjoy Thai food so made the most of the last few days in Thailand trying alot of street food and the odd restaurant. We ventured out to a pub one night which the town has many to choose from and 95% of the time they’ll have a pool table there. We were also able to take charge of being DJ there and likely turning away a few potential patrons who didn’t appreciate our music selection.
    Read more

You might also know this place by the following names:

Phankham Museum

Join us:

FindPenguins for iOS FindPenguins for Android

Sign up now