Hopefully no Seasonal Affective Disorder for us by avoiding the weather, Christmas & the supermarket shortages in the UK by heading to Thailand for a 2 month holiday.
  • Feb4

    Day 57 - You’re Beautiful……………………Really!

    February 4 in Thailand ⋅ 🌙 25 °C

    At 8am the alarm rang on our final morning in Thailand. We drank copious amounts of instant coffee & water, then showered, packed & headed to reception at 10am.

    Our receptionist was waiting with his car & he drove us 2 minutes up the road to International Departures. We arrived 2nd in the Thai Air queue, behind Sue & Larry Hook who are in their 70’s from Dorset. Sue was a Mrs Bouquet character & asked Jackie how long we had been in Thailand for. When Jackie told her 2 months, Sue Bucket said that they had only been away for one month, but quickly added that they normally go away for 3 months & they always go back to the same place in Khao Lak. Sue Bucket then tried to impress us further by listing all the places they had been to in India. I zoned out, but I think Jackie out Asian country’d her.

    We had to endure this point scoring for longer than necessary, because the Thai Airways check-in computers had crashed. Eventually we able to check in & we had to show proof of our Passenger Locator Forms & proof that we had been fully vaccinated.

    As we went airside, a lesbian security guard who was only about 20 years old, asked Jackie to remove her mask, then gasped “Oh. You’re beautiful”. FFS, I’m not going to hear the end of this!

    No-one complimented me on my looks, instead at the search area my rucksack was searched over & over again until they found the unidentified article, my new mini hip flask, a Christmas present from my parents.

    The duty free shop was deserted & staff were just starting to re-stock the shelves after probably being closed for the last 2 years. There were no cigarettes on display & the only ones available to buy were Chinese.

    We boarded the Thai Airways 777 at 12.30pm & discovered that it was less than a quarter full. This meant that Jackie & I both had a set of three seats to ourselves including a window. It promised to be a good flight.

    Shortly after taking taking off, the crew came round with our very satisfactory dinner of chicken curry. Over the next hour or so, Jackie managed to eke 5 glasses of red wine for us each from the crew despite a tannoy message to say that alcohol would only be served with meal service.

    Our flight took us out over the Andaman Sea, over the Andaman Islands across the top of India. It was then over Pakistan, north of Karachi & then over Iran, where we were treated to clear skies & fantastic views of the barren mountainous landscape below. Sadly as we approached Tehran, a carpet of thick cloud obscured the view of planet earth.

    Around 9.30pm, Phuket time, the crew came out with a 2nd meal which was absolutely farcical. We were offered a choice of shrimp or fish. Jackie chose shrimp, but they only had fish left. She opened up her dinner & immediately put the grey fish, grey rice & grey vegetables to one side.

    In the meantime, I had politely explained to the steward that I was fish & seafood intolerant, but I would take the rest of it with a glass of wine. The baffled steward offered me another chicken curry, but I would have to wait 10 minutes for it to cook. Whilst waiting I decided there was nothing else on my tray that I wanted to eat.

    10 minutes later my chicken curry arrived & it was as dry as a bone, because it had no doubt been heated up again from the 1st meal service. I nibbled at it, then the crew offered me a vegetarian meal, which looked like Jackie’s fish without the fish.
    I declined, then they brought me out some posh bread rolls from down the front of the plane. I took a bread roll, then cheekily asked for some cheese & biscuits. I was presented with a selection that I accepted & shared with Jackie. We also managed to get a total of three glasses of wine each out them.

    I should add that I wasn’t the only fussy one, Mrs Bucket had a field day with her complaints. The weirdest thing about it all was that as soon as the crew had cleared in the trays & stopped serving alcohol, they randomly handed out to each of us a triple chicken sandwich. I couldn’t even contemplate attempting to eat it, but Jackie had a good go.

    The evening sunset was quite spectacular as we skirted the southern shores of the Black Sea. The sun sank down into darkness as our journey continued across Romania, Hungary, Austria, Germany, Belgium & finally good old Blighty. Our 13 and a half hour flight landed at Heathrow at 7.45pm. A long flight, but made so much easier when you can stretch your legs out over three seats!

    Getting through the arrivals procedures at an empty Heathrow was an absolute doddle. The immigration process allowed us to go straight through the E-reader booths & there were no requests to produce our Passenger Locator Forms. Our luggage came out with minutes & there were no customs to stop us.

    As a result we were able to catch an earlier National Express than planned, giving me the opportunity to watch the FA cup football on my IPad & the disappointing penalty shootout at home, which was lovely & warm thanks to our neighbour, Emma.

    Song of the Day: You’re Beautiful by James Blunt.
    Leaving on a Jet Plane by John Denver.
    Planet Earth by Duran Duran.
    Read more

    Chris Bambridge

    Welcome home! Enjoyed reading about your trip and all your adventures! xx

    Simon and Jackie Annals

    Thanks Chris. How’s the orangery coming on?

    Chris Bambridge

    It’s Angela! Orangery coming along, roof is tiled and glazing next week! xx

    3 more comments
  • Feb3

    Day 56 - Earned Our Plane Spotter Badges

    February 3 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    We both slept for in excess of 10 hours. I had dreams of grilled teriyaki chicken, what a pervert!

    For the next two to three hours we sat on our balcony drinking instant coffee in minimal attire dealing with the constant stream of emails requesting details of everything about me short of my inside leg measurements, blogging & generally WhatsApp’ing.

    It is a good time to mention that I asked for more coffee sachets at reception & a lady came down with a tray of coffee & creamers & a more bottles of water. What do you have to moan about Jackie? She walked into the glass window, it didn’t have enough warning stickers on it & apparently the shower was not quite too her preferred temperature!

    We completed both our Passenger Locator Forms which are required at check-in to allow us to board the aircraft back to London. We have had to pre-book an LFT test to complete within 48 hours of landing in the UK for £12 each to allow us to complete the PLF. Up until very recently we needed to take a negative LFT test here in Thailand just 24 hours before boarding the aircraft, but thanks to good old Boris we have to do nothing of the sort this end. Or so we hope!

    Around 12.30pm, we followed my dreams & went back to Naiyang Café for egg noodles with teriyaki grilled chicken & Jackie ordered a Pad Thai with shrimp. Jackie had a ‘recommended’ date iced latte coffee & I had a date coffee shake. It was all fabulous & we made the decision that we had to return again tonight. It is just too good!

    After our lunch, we headed to Nai Yang Beach, which is part of Sirinat National Park & hence required another entrance fee of 200 Baht per person. Eight weeks ago, we refused to pay the entrance fee, but I had regretted it ever since & today we were prepared to pay the fee just to go plane spotting.

    When we approached the entrance to Sirinat National Park, the lady collecting the money told us how much it would be, but suggested two alternative options. We could either come back at 5pm when there was no one on the gate or take an alternative route that she described to us that would get us to beach without having to pay the entrance fee.

    Bless her, we took the latter option & saved ourselves a tenner. We walked along the attractive beach until we found the other anoraks (mainly in bikinis & shorts) under the flight path of the incoming flights to Phuket International Airport. We spent a couple of hours on the beach waiting, photographing & videoing the incoming aircraft as they flew low over our heads on their approach. We also stood behind the aircraft as they revved up on the runway before taking off. Jackie absolutely loved it.

    We were stupidly dehydrated when we left the beach having forgotten to take any fluids with us. We took a pit stop back at our hotel, by drinking litres of water, then we headed out in search of beer. Our first stop was Heng Heng Heng, which we were due to return to following our visit the previous day. Unfortunately, they didn’t have any cold Chang & we had a lukewarm beer watered down by ice.

    It wasn’t ideal, so we took a walk & stopped at our very first restaurant ‘Where It Began’, on this trip. We sat & supped several cold beers, whilst watching the world go by on another busy street.

    Finally satiated, we headed home via 7-11 for provisions for breakfast, the airport & the flight home. Back on our balcony, I got myself a head start on the penultimate blog, whilst sipping Hong Thongs & coke. Time passed us by, because it was 7.45pm, when we realised the time & we needed to get back out to eat.

    We rushed back to Naiyang Café AGAIN for our final Thai meal. I ordered Chicken and cashew nuts, whilst Jackie, who was slightly pissed, but will never admit it, ordered just a spicy chicken salad. I ordered a plain soda water, whilst Jackie ordered a fancy one. The so reasonably priced dinner was yet again fantastic & it is possibly the consistently best quality food that either of us have ever eaten. The Muslim ladies were also delightful, they couldn’t have been politer & more eager to please………..in a culinary way!

    I’m going to write to the Michelin Guide with my recommendation that the Naiyang Café be awarded stars. That should sway it!!

    After dinner, I dragged Jackie to a pancake stall on the main road & bought a banana pancake for just 20 Baht, about 45 pence. I took it back to our room to eat with a Hong Thong nightcap.

    Song of the Day: Blogging by Wire.
    Incoming by Something Happens!
    Low Flying by Mazzy Star.
    Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond (Slightly tenuous!).
    Read more

    Andy Mays

    Glad you had such a great time. Can’t believe for one minute Jax would get p***** on the last evening 😂. Well done on the blog and for completing the entire 55 days. I have to say that for all the years I worked with you, I defended you from those who said you had the ability to talk S*** and a lot of it!! Now however - on reflection of what they said . . . . See you when you get back both of you 😎

    Andy Mays

    Oh and my Spotify playlist is complete with thanks.

    Simon and Jackie Annals

    Bit premature!

    2 more comments
  • Feb2

    Day 55 - Sunrise over Koh Samui

    February 2 in Thailand ⋅ 🌙 27 °C

    We were awoken by a cacophony of alarm clocks all going off at 3am. Having showered, dressed & fully packed, we noisily trundled through the sleeping resort at 3.50am to find our taxi driver waiting for us outside reception.

    The taxi ride took 30 minutes back to Thong Sala, where we collected our ferry & bus tickets, then boarded the ferry. We sat outside at the back to witness our 1st sunrise of the trip. At 5am sharp, we pulled out of the port for the 36 mile 1st leg of our long journey home.

    As we passed Koh Samui, the sun started to rise providing us quite a dramatic red sky with angry black clouds over the island. Apparently the weather was due to change & rain was forecast for the next few days. We were getting out just in time!

    Once daylight was upon us, we decided to move inside to the comfy seats & it was then that we discovered that our luggage & feet were filthy. We had been standing in soot deposits from the funnels. Everything was black & so began a clean up operation using wet wipes.

    We arrived at Don Sak Pier at 7.20am without the slightest sniff of a Pink Dolphin.
    We then boarded a minibus to take us to their bus station, where we transferred to another minibus to take us the next 68 miles to Surat Thani.

    This journey ended at a travel office, where we had to wait just 10 minutes for the Phuket bus to arrive. We spent the next 5 and a half hours & 142 miles on the bus before we were dropped off at a taxi rank near to Phuket International Airport.

    The bus ride was a very pleasant experience. Jackie & I had a double seat each & the route on Highway 401 took us through the mountainous jungle of Khao Sok National Park to Takua Pa Bus Terminal where we stopped for a 15 minute break.

    Now Takua Pa Bus Terminal was where I nearly had a toilet disaster last time, but no such problems this time. However, Jackie took it upon herself to visit the 7-11 & returned with our breakfast/lunchtime snacks. She gave me my snack which she thought was a pineapple pastry, but was in fact a corn pastry as clearly written on the wrapper. It was too late to change it so I took a bite of what was sweetcorn in custard in pastry. Disgusting & totally inedible!

    Jackie had bought herself a double pocket sandwich, but she had picked up a crab stick sandwich doubled up with a pulled pork sandwich which she doesn’t like. Jackie tried to placate me her unwanted pulled pork sandwich, which when I sniffed it had a hint of crab. No thanks.

    Now hungry, the bus continued down the Andaman Sea coast road via Khok Kloi to Phuket where upon entry we were stopped & two surly police officers boarded the bus & demanded to see everyone’s documents. We had to provide our passports & proof of our vaccinations. (The Anti-Vaxxers won’t be holidaying in Thailand anytime soon!) Three Thai people were also escorted off the bus & didn’t return.

    At the taxi rank, a lone taxi driver agreed to take us & 2 lads to our respective destinations for just 100 Baht each. We dropped off one lad off at a shitty little hotel, the 2nd at an empty International Departures, then he dropped us off at our new hotel, Himaphan Boutique Resort.

    Jackie was immediately on the lookout for things to complain about because I had overruled her & booked this hotel. It was considerably cheaper than the one she wanted to stay in that we had stayed in when we first landed in Thailand on this trip.

    Here we go with her complaints :-
    Firstly, the receptionist didn’t speak very good English.
    Secondly, we were the last room at the back of the resort. It was a long walk, NOT how lovely & secluded it was!
    Thirdly, the internet is rubbish. It was a bit, but I went back to reception & he rebooted the internet for us & it is fine now.
    Fourthly, the aircon is not cold enough. FFS, give it time to do it’s job.
    Fifthly, some of the other guests seem a bit scummy, which is what you get if you go too cheap. She had seen just one fat bloke with lots of tattoos. Ok that’s enough now!

    The 53 metre square room is actually very very nice, well furnished, a large comfy bed & fully glazed on two sides with sliding doors & a balcony overlooking attractive gardens. We also have complimentary tea, coffee, bottles of water & a lift to the airport, all for just £29 a night. Say no more!

    After ending the discussion on the pros & cons of the new hotel, we headed out for a beer & a much needed snack. We found Cafe 32120, a quirky little place where we enjoyed a couple of small Changs each & shared a plate of vegetable spring rolls. We then found a little Thai restaurant that seemed very popular with the locals, so we had another couple of beers & marvelled at how efficient & speedy their cooking methods with their woks were. We are going to be returning the following night apparently.

    After popping into 7-11, we returned to our luxurious hotel room for a quick Hong Thong, a freshen up & then it was back out to Naiyang Cafe, which I had been looking forward to for nearly 8 weeks. It is a Muslim restaurant, so no alcohol so we ordered lemon & passion fruit sodas, which were a taste sensation. Jackie ordered teriyaki fried chicken on rice & I had the healthy option of glass noodles with grilled chicken & teriyaki. The attention to the detail in the presentation was excellent & it was all so so good.

    A quick snifter on the balcony finished off our evening at the unbelievably late hour of 10pm.

    Song of the Day: Sunrise by Pulp.
    Stormclouds by New Model Army.
    Read more

    Andy Mays

    You wake up and yawn!

    Simon and Jackie Annals


  • Feb1

    Day 54 - Final Day at Salad Beach

    February 1 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Our sleep patterns are now back to normal with no mysterious sweats. Sadly it was our last proper nights sleep. Tomorrow we would be back on the mainland by the time we got out of bed this morning.

    We did a bit of packing, reserved our sun beds then toddled down the beach to Coral Beach restaurant for a final avocado & poached eggs on toast. I took a risk & went fried with french toast. It was a splendid breakfast to savour, washed down with iced lattes & coffee shakes.

    Thanks to my mother, I have now discovered the joys (or addiction) of Wordle. It made a nice change to reading a book & I have so far played 48 games with a 100% success rate………..just saying!

    Lunch was literally just a couple of Hong Thongs on the balcony, weaning ourselves off Chang!

    The afternoon was more of the same until 5pm, when we reluctantly called it a day. We packed as much as we possibly could, showered & settled down to a couple of sundowners & watched one of our better sunsets.

    We went back to our restaurant for our final meal. Pat & Joe were both still on duty so I forced them into having their photo taken for my blog, because this was to be the last day of our acquaintance. Pat asked us if she wanted her to give us a knock at 4am to make sure we were up & wouldn’t miss the taxi & ferry. We declined, but it was a nice offer, that or she wanted to see the back of us!

    We ordered a beer & it felt like the absolutely perfect night to end our stay at Salad Beach. Twenty minutes later we ordered our dinner of a spicy Massaman curry & a pad Thai. Annoyingly, our dinner arrived nearly an hour later & it was just lukewarm. The Massaman curry was also too mild. We ate it, but moaned to Joe that it was too cold & he admitted that the cook had gone shopping for baby milk & the food had arrived by taxi from their other restaurant. The dishes cost just a couple of pound each & it seemed churlish to moan, but sadly it put a dampers on our final meal.

    We had a couple of quick Hong Thongs & then it was to bed.

    Song of the Day: Last Day of Our Acquaintance by Sinead O’Connor.
    Final Days by Cheap Trick.
    Read more

    Ann Annals

    Thank you for the mention, i am still trying Wordle knew you would crack it

    Simon and Jackie Annals

    Well I’m such a wordsmith. I have now played 80 games with 100% wins!

    Ann Annals

    Leave a comment …

    Simon and Jackie Annals

    What do you mean leave a comment? Hahaha 🤪

  • Jan31

    Day 53 - Firecrackers at Dawn

    January 31 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Before we had got out of bed, the morning silence, around 9am, had been shattered by the sound of firecrackers. We got up & set up camp in our usual place & Joe, the waiter informed us it was the last day of the Thai New Year, hence the firecrackers throughout the morning.

    Despite the firecrackers, the sea was calm & we went snorkelling for a good half hour, but apart from a few small fish there wasn’t a lot to see. We needed the exercise.

    At lunch we wandered down to Dubble Duke for a couple of beers to wash down an overpriced cheese & ham baguette & french fries that we shared. Over lunch we booked our hotel for our final 2 nights in Thailand & was rather pleased with the price. We have just got to get to it now on Wednesday, but that’s another story!

    The afternoon was just sun, sun, sun until Jackie abandoned me at 4pm for an hour long all over body massage with aloe vera. She came back radiant & gushing about how fantastic it had been….all for just 350 Baht. Apparently most of the resort have had to witness her exposed buttocks.

    With Jackie in a buoyant mood, we decided to have more happy hour cocktails & knowing what we like, we ordered 2 White Russians with an Orange Daiquiri chaser again. Very pleasant.

    That evening, for the very 1st time, we chose to have dinner at our resort restaurant, principally because it was open & there were no families with screaming infants dining. We ordered our dinner & sat back to enjoy the serenity of the quiet empty beach & fishing boats on the horizon. All of a sudden 9 (they’ve recruited another) Russian boys ran shouting on to the beach armed with spades. They then proceeded to build & trash each other castles, which if nothing else did provide a bit of entertainment.

    When our dinner it arrived, it was delicious & as good as anything we had had on our trip so far. Jackie had spicy pineapple & pork, whilst I had fried mushrooms with chicken.

    Over a Hong Thong on the balcony, we reflected on our trip & couldn’t believe that we would be home in literally a couple of days. The last week has absolutely flown by.

    Song of the Day: Firecracker by Ryan Adams.
    Read more

  • Jan30

    Day 52 - Today Is a Good Day

    January 30 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Looks like those sleep sweats are now thankfully a thing of the past. About 10am, we went to breakfast at Coral Beach because Jackie was excited to have the avocado & poached eggs on toast again, which didn’t let her down. I had porridge with banana. It was a good breakfast.

    We set up camp on the seafront sun beds & read our books through to lunchtime. I have to confess the 8 young Russian boys who arrived yesterday made me laugh as they proceeded to dig up the whole beach & bury each other. What was slightly sinister was that when a boy was buried up to their neck & unable to move, others waterboarded him by constantly pouring buckets of water over his head. Poor old Joe, our waiter, had nowhere on the sand to set up his table & chairs!

    It is a slightly surreal feeling to have so many (generally pleasant) Russians around enjoying themselves, when you read the news & the events going on along the Ukrainian border.

    Lunch was just a beer each in the restaurant at our resort, then more sunbathing.

    At 5pm, Jackie decided it was time to sample the Happy Hour cocktails that our resort were now offering at a reasonable price. We both ordered a White Russian & because if you bought 2 you got one free, we ordered a follow up of an Orange Daiquiri. They were good cocktails, but damn strong.

    That evening we returned to Spicy Salad at the end of the beach for a romantic dinner. We were both hungry & ordered a meal each! Jackie ordered a Thai pork green curry & I ordered fried chilli & onion with chicken. We ate the lot & had a couple of Changs.

    A Hong Thong on the balcony finished off a very good day.

    Song of the Day: Today Is a Good Day by New Model Army.
    Read more

    Andy Mays

    Do you quite like NMA by any chance. Glad your feeling better buddy. Lucky you had nurse Jax on hand. Watch those pesky Russians.

    Simon and Jackie Annals

    Best band in the world

  • Jan29

    Day 51 - Halle….Bloody…..lujah

    January 29 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    No sweating at all over night & still feeling normal. The cleaners will be pleased!

    At 9.10am, I dragged myself out of bed & popped out on the scooter to fill up with fuel. I didn’t quite fill it up to the level it was given to me, but I didn’t want to add an extra 50 Bahts worth. We’ll see if I get away with it. (I did).

    We had an iced coffee & I returned the scooter keys to Pat, then we sat out by the pool for a nice peaceful morning.

    Lunch consisted of a cold beer at Dubble Duke & Jackie had a fried squid salad, whilst I had a pad Thai. The food was good, but the location superb.

    We returned to our resort & relocated to the sun beds looking out over the beach. It was just as well because during the afternoon an enormous (20+) group of Russians checked in amongst them 8 boisterous young boys. They took over the pool area & we suspect they will do so now all the time they are here.

    That evening we went to dinner next door at Crystal, accompanied by the sound of a salsa class taking place behind us. I annoyingly still wasn’t feeling hungry, so Jackie ordered a chicken satay & a beer, whilst I made do with just a soda water. Maybe I’m not 100% ok just yet.

    That evening on the verandah over a Hong Thong we came to the mutual agreement that we were now sneakily starting to look forward to going home to some good old fashioned home comforts like a roast beef dinner, nice cup of tea & a biscuit etc.

    Song of the Day: Movin On by Paul Weller.
    Read more

  • Jan28

    Day 50 - Back in the Game

    January 28 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    I had the night sweats or more accurately sleep sweats for a 4th night in a row, but because I hadn’t slept that much the bed was damp more than saturated. I did however feel perfectly fine.

    At 10am we popped down to reception to await the arrival of our scooter & to get an iced coffee. Pat had forgotten to order our scooter & hurriedly ordered one for us.

    We were on the road by 10.30am & heading to Thong Sala for some retail therapy. We spent the morning hunting around for souvenirs with limited success.

    For a bit of culture, we visited Wat Phu Khao Noi, one of the smallest temples in the country, but the oldest on Ko Phangan. The hill upon which it sits has been designated a historic site. Jackie was not sufficiently modestly dressed, so she guarded the scooter, whilst I wandered around & snapped away.

    We then stopped at Lotus for provisions, mainly alcohol & snacks & headed back towards the resort. We stopped at What’s Cup, a cafe for a bowl of smoothie & an Hawaiian sandwich which were excellent & with a pleasant vista.

    It was then back to our place for an afternoon around the pool & with no side effects from lunch. So that evening we went back out on the scooter & headed south. We found a Thai restaurant called Zak. I ordered chicken & cashew nuts, whilst Jackie showed Zak a photo on her phone of the dish she would like. It was spicy prawns with rice & egg on top. Zak said he could do that & by god could he. He returned with a virtual replica of the photo which was apparently very tasty. With my appetite restored, I ate all my dinner & even managed some snacks when we got home.

    I feel that I am now back to my normal self which is a blessed relief. The ultimate test will be whether I do or don’t have sleep sweats tonight.

    Song of the Day: Part Two - In My Own Way by Ray LaMontagne
    Read more

    Wunderschön war ich auch einmal

  • Jan27

    Day 49 - Noisy Bird & Not Jackie!

    January 27 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    I was still awake at 4am, without any indication that I would have the night sweats again. A short while later I must have fallen asleep & the next thing I knew was that I woke up at 8.30am again AND the whole of my side of the absolutely drenched again. This is a concern particularly to Jackie.

    I felt absolutely fine, so after Jackie did her best to air the bed, we popped down to Pat for breakfast. Prematurely we ordered cheese & tuna respectively baguettes & a portion of french fries. We struggled.

    After breakfast we made arrangements through Pat to get a ferry & minibus back to Phuket in 7 days time. It was going to mean a 4am taxi & a 5am ferry, which will be nice, but it was a good price & we may yet see our 1st sunset on this trip.

    The highlight of the morning was conversing with the resident resort Myna bird. It is an extremely noisy bugger who is already become a bit annoying. I shoved my phone towards him & filmed some of his repertoire. I then suggested Jackie try & touch him & she nearly lost her finger.

    He obviously wasn’t happy because the moment Jackie got up from her sun bed, he flew over & shat on it not once, but twice. He clearly did give two shits!

    We avoided having any beer for lunch & spent the day in & out of the sun around the pool & reading. Our plan was for an early sunset tea, then cards on the balcony.

    At 6pm, we went next door to Crystal & unbelievably I was still not hungry. We sat at a table on the beach, where I got well & truly attacked by mosquitoes (I splatted about 8), whilst Jackie didn’t get bitten once!

    Jackie ordered a chicken salad & a strawberry mojito, whilst I ordered just a soda water. I had 2 mouthfuls of Jackie’s salad which was more than enough for me.

    We returned to the cottage & just chilled on our balcony with Hong Thongs & bottles of water.

    That night when we went to bed we were surprised that the cleaners hadn’t swapped the bed linen on my side of the bed for a paddling pool. Jackie was also threatening to go to bed in her mask & snorkel. I knew they’d come in handy!

    Song of the Day: No Rest by New Model Army.
    Read more

  • Jan26

    Day 48 - Almighty Night Sweats

    January 26 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    I had fallen asleep at 8.30pm the previous evening, leaving Jackie watching Netflix. Apparently Jackie had been monitoring my symptoms hourly & around 1am I had started to sweat profusely. She had tried to rouse me, but I was too drowsy to wake up. I did eventually wake up 12 hours later at 8.30am, but my side of the bed was literally sodden from top to bottom, including the pillows & the duvet. This was a worrying development, but on the upside I felt much better. Maybe I had sweated all the badness out!

    Feeling hungry we headed up the beach to Coral Beach Restaurant, where we had a superb breakfast. Jackie had avocado & poached eggs on toast, whilst I had mango & sticky rice. We then sunbathed around the pool. Lunch was just a solitary beer then more reading around the pool & listening to the soothing sounds of the Steve Ignorant Band - Live in Notts 2021.

    Over lunch I had marvelled that at Salad Beach every Scandinavian male sports a shit top knot haircut (Are they trying to imitate Zlatan?) & the Russian males just have shit haircuts!

    That evening, we returned to Dubble Duke, where I discovered I think that I’m all ‘beered’ out. I ordered a soda water! Unfortunately we didn’t enjoy our meal either. It didn’t help that I had lost my appetite again, but I had Arabiata spaghetti that was too spicy & garlic bread that was too garlicky & Jackie had Prawn Tom Yum soup that was too watery.

    A Hong Thong nightcap finished off the evening.

    Song of the Day: Sweaty Betty by The Macc Lads.
    Bata Motel by Steve Ignorant Band.
    Read more

    Pam Harris

    I think you are going through the menopause!! Seriously- hope you feel better soon and get your appetite back . Px

    Simon and Jackie Annals

    Oh I do hope not Pam. Hopefully it was just some bug or infection I picked up!