After leaving Cardrona I went towards Lake Hawea the other big lake closed to Wanaka.
I stopped at three different lookout places, first at the bottom of the lake, then half way and in the end at the top of the Lake Hawea as well.
The weather is still really good and warm but there are coming more and more clouds over the mountains.
I know I am driving towards bad weather, but if I am a little bit lucky, the worst part is not coming before Tuesday and there I will be at least at Hokitika and not around the part of Highway 6 that got washed away during the extreme rain at the beginning of December.
I was watching the weather forecast already the last couple of days and was deciding to rush it over to the west coast and towards Hokitika to be able to do this part of the trip, because I think they will close the road on Tuesday or maybe Wednesday because it should rain like hell.
At least I can do this part of the trip like this, otherwise, I would need to go another way.Read more