Tomb of Minh MangSeptember 5, 2018 in Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 35 °C
Next stop was the first tomb for the day.
The tomb is renowned for its architecture and the forest setting. The tomb was planned during Minh Mang’s reign (1820–40) but built by his successor, Thieu Tri.
Minh Mang's tomb is in An Bang village, on the west bank of the Perfume River, 12km from Hue.
The Honour Courtyard is reached via three gates on the eastern side of the wall. Three granite staircases lead from the courtyard to the square Pavilion Dinh Vuong.
Sung An Temple, which is dedicated to Minh Mang and his empress, is reached via three terraces and the rebuilt Hien Duc Gate. On the other side of the temple, three stone bridges span Trung Minh Ho "Lake of Impeccable Clarity". The central bridge was for the emperor’s use only. Minh Lau Pavilion "Pavilion of Light" stands on the top of three superimposed terraces that represent the ‘three powers’: the heavens, the earth and water. To the left is the Fresh Air Pavilion, to the right, the Angling Pavilion.
From the stone bridge across crescent shaped Tan Nguyet Lake "Lake of the New Moon", a monumental staircase with dragon banisters leads to Minh Mang’s sepulchre.
The gate to the tomb is opened only once a year on the anniversary of the emperor’s death.
They are currently undertaking a refurbishment so some parts of the grounds we could not see unfortuneately.Read more