Ormos Thoriko 1Nm north of Lavrion AGAINAugust 24, 2018 in Greece ⋅ 🌙 25 °C
We have had an uninspiring week or so, as you know we headed north to avoid the forecasted higher winds but then they didn’t arrive, it would appear, until we headed south again anyway. Wind speed reader said gusts around 35-40mph. Our trip from Eretria to....... well we ended up at Nea Spira still on Evia but further south than the place we stopped at on the way up but not as pretty, more touristy with lots of high rise apartments. From there we had hoped to get as far as Lavrio on the mainland for fuel water and provisions but it was very choppy, we were surfing down the waves at 6.3knots with only 1400 revs, that didn’t mean much to me but John was impressed, it wasn’t very splashy but was tiring for John to keep us straight on the waves so we ended up at Porto Rafti a little further north than hoped and again touristy but not foreign tourists Greeks. The trouble with these places is that they are close to Athens so have become commuter suburbs/ weekend homes.
We eventually reached Lavrion today Friday only to be told that they were full because it is a charter company base and they do changeovers at the weekend, bugger!🤬 as Lavrion is commercial there were some pretty big ships waiting around to go in below is a photo of the largest. No other pictures as scenery not great or even when it was we were moving around too much for we to take any in focus pictures.sorry!
So we are holed up in the same little bay that we used on our way north, it is quiet even though next to a power station! There is also a beach bar/taverna and we had our cheapest meal so far Eur15 salad, kebabs and drinks. Still deciding what to do next.🤔
But to recap the journey to Nea Spira nearly didn’t happen. On our way south we stopped for lunch at somewhere called Ormos Tigani just an almost deserted bay, that on the charts looked like it would be sheltered from the meltemi, the afternoon NE wind, it wasn’t so we decided to just stop for lunch and a look around before continuing. We anchored up and reversed on the anchor to check it was holding as gusts around 30mph, all OK. 👍After lunch we rowed ashore for a look at the church and what appeared to be a caravan behind it, we were interested because we couldn’t see any approach road. Church was cute but locked up but you could still see through the windows and some people had left offerings of oil for the lamps and candles on doorstep and yes it was a now disused caravan on a levelled slab but we still couldn’t figure out how on earth they got it there! Perhaps helicopter 😉
We then returned to the beach for a mooch along the shore there was lots of detritus and we thought maybe we would find something to scavenge, it was only on our way back towards the dinghy that we realised the boat wasn’t where we had left it ...... it was drifting backwards along the shore towards the rocks at the edge of the bay uh oh John rowed rapidly back to boat and we prepared for the off. It was even windier than when we had arrived. In the slight panic I forgot to take photos! On the next leg to Spira we had another unscheduled delay when we had to turn back for the screen cover for the external plotter which had be carried by a gust overboard. I was able to practice my man overboard pointing constantly and giving captain directions then as the better swimmer jumping in and diving for the sinking cover.
Yesterday’s journey was only punctuated by the dinghy flipping multiple times, sadly we didn’t realise until the evening when we wanted to go ashore, that on one of the times the aluminium seat had come out. Even if we had realised at the time it would, I imagine, have sunk so quickly we would have lost it anyway.☹️Read more