Xé Dôn

Here you’ll find travel reports about Xé Dôn. Discover travel destinations in Laos of travelers writing a travel blog on FindPenguins.

27 travelers at this place:

  • Day101

    Heute (an unserem letzten Tag in Laos) sind wir von Pakse 45km mit dem Roller zur Tempelanlage Wat Phou gefahren. 🛵

    Die Fahrt führte an tollen Landschaften und saftig grünen Reisfeldern vorbei. 🌿

    Alle paar Kilometer überquerte auch mal eine Kuh die Straße - das ist hier ganz normal! 🐮🛵

    Die Tempelanlage ist durch die Khmer-Architektur etwas ganz besonderes und gehört zu einem der Unesco-Welterbe. 📋

    Für uns war dies auch ein kleiner Vorgeschmack auf die Tempelanlagen in Kambodscha - denn morgen fliegen wir bereits nach Siem Riep. 😍

    Laos du warst wunderbar! Wir hatten traumhaftes Wetter, haben die schönsten Wasserfälle entdeckt, die schönsten Sonnenuntergänge erlebt, umgeben von einer wundervollen Natur und waren von der gemütlichen Atmosphäre und den Menschen ganz entzückt. 💕
    Read more

  • Day99

    Mit dem Bus nach Pakse

    February 11 in Laos

    Nach 3 Tagen Vientiane ging es mit dem Schlafbus weiter nach Pakse - der Bus war mit richtigen Doppelbetten und alles was man sonst so braucht ausgestattet. 😊

    Leider gab es während der 12Std. Fahrt keine einzige Pause - der Fahrer hatte es ganz schön eilig ... 😄

    6 Uhr morgens kamen wir total müde (und hungrig 😁...) in Pakse an.

    In unser Hotel konnten wir erst ab 14.00Uhr einchecken, daher haben wir uns spontan noch ein Schlafplatz gesucht (und gefunden!) 😊

    Am nächsten Tag sind wir mit dem Roller zu einem wunderschönen Wasserfall (Tad Yuang) gefahren und unser Rückweg führte in Richtung Sonnenuntergang (das war so schöön ...).💗

    Die Stadt Pakse ist an sich nichts besonderes, aber die Umgebung von Pakse ist echt toll! Achja, und essen kann man hier auch total lecker. 😋
    Read more

  • Day100

    Sabaidi Phaktai Laos!

    July 9 in Laos

    Today was another full day of travelling. I left Siem Reap at 8am, and after 6 hours in a bus we (myself and an Israeli couple) reached the border town where we waited for over an hour for our next for of transport to arrive. We then bundled into a very questionable minivan (no MOT here) along with a local family, a few sacks or rice, six crates of beer (making up the floor) and possibly a chicken rammed into the boot (like Aladdin’s cave) and traveled the last hour to the boarder (stopping along the way to deliver said goods). Unfortunately due to the numeroia delays we reached the border “after hours” at 4:30pm (office hours end a 4pm) which meant we had to pay an additional $1 for the staffs inconvenience. That added to the $2 extra for each countries “ink” budget to ensure we left with official stamps brought what should have been a $35 visa up to $40 dollars - the joy of the land crossing. After jumping through all the hoops we finally made it into Laos and were met (after a slightly worrying ten minute wait) by a very nice, air conditioned, 4x4 (plus driver) which would take us to our final destinations, me to the 4000 islands, and the Israeli couple to Pakse further north. After just half an hour I was dropped off at the small pier where I got my own private long boat across the Mekong delta to Don Det, one of only three inhabited islands out of the 4000. The official name of the island archipelago is actually Si Phan Don (meaning 4000 islands) and the number of islands is more likely in the hundreds. As it is low season in Laos I decided to throw caution to the wind and just turn up on the island without any accommodation booked and see what I could find. After 5 minutes of walking down the “sunset” side of the island I came across the “Sunset Bungalows”, a very quiet line of six bungalows each with their own porch and hammock. And to my luck they had one free. Well actually they had six free and I was the first guest to stay in a month. I checked into my own private resort, dumped my stuff in my room (very basic but very nice to have a private room after three months in dorms) and headed to Adam’s bar for dinner. Again I was the only customer in this Don Det staple, but the food was great and the constant loop of Friends episodes playing on the TV was a welcome change to watching YouTube videos on my phone. After dinner I headed back to my sanctuary for some much needed sleep.

    Day 1

    Laos itself is a very laid back country (the saying “it will happen in Laos time” is common here) but Don Det is even more laid back. I quickly got into the island vibe. After a much need lie in I found a cute tavern for brunch, enjoying the food and people watching. I then walked around the rest of the main village (which consists of two main roads down each side of the island with an adjoining alley, so takes a grand total of 5 minutes to cover everything) and headed back to my haven to enjoy some hammock time. This is where I spent the majority of the first day, with a break for a lunch, and also dinner, at Adams bar (being able to have a home comfort of a TV again really is enticing).

    Day 2

    After a full day enjoying the guilt free bliss of lounging in a hammock I decided to explore the rest of the island and the adjoining Don Khon island. I rented a bike and circled to the other end of the island. Once you leave the small tourist village the rest of the island is just farm land with a few houses and cows dotted about. It only took 20 minutes to read the other end of the island and the old French bridge which connects it to Don Khon. Whereas Don Det is more for the “backpacker” crowd, Don Khon is more for families and older travellers, with more modern guest houses and restaurants. The island also a few walking trails and waterfalls making it a nice place to visit for a day. I decided to cycle to Li Phi Waterfall, the larges one on the island, first. To my complete surprise as I was parking my bike I run into Irene (the Italian girl i met in Phong Nha National Park). What are the chances?! We catch each other up on our travels since Phong Nha and then say goodbye, hoping to meet for dinner, as she didn’t want to pay the entrance fee for the waterfall. I cross the bridge and head to the waterfall, which is more like a large rapid cascading over rocks as opposed to an actual waterfall. I take a few pictures and then follow the signs for “the beach”. After ten minutes I come across a true deserted island paradise - a white sandy beach with a four deserted sun loungers and a palm leaf umbrella. As it’s a bit of a walk away no one else seems to make the journey so I had the whole beach to myself. And the cherry on the cake is that there was a little beach bar close enough that I could use their WiFi, but still far enough that I felt like I had the place to myself. I spent the next two hours enjoying the serenity of my island paradise (with the best WiFi connection I have had in months!). I then forced myself to leave my paradise to go explore more of the island. This was the wrong decision. I spent the next hour cycling down increasingly bumpy and narrow roads, stopping at a couple “waterfalls” which turned out to be little more than trickles (thanks, avoiding a few water buffalo and numerous puddles until I got so fed up I headed back to Don Det, exhausted. I should’ve stayed on my beach! Only one thing would salvage the day - dinner at Adams bar. Irene never made its as she ended up walking around the whole of Don Khon (in hind site a better option than cycling) and was so exhausted after she went straight to bed. While I was at Adams the heavens opened. I managed to make it back to my bungalow fairly dry where I watched the storm from my porch before heading to bed.

    Day 3

    It rained all through the night and continued into the next day. Luckily I had already decided it was time to leave my little island today so it didn’t affect my view of backpacker heaven. After breakfast I got the boat over to the mainland and then found the minivan that wild take me up to Pakse. The journey only took a couple hours so I arrived at my hostel just after lunch. In the common room I met Chloe and Jack, a Welsh couple who were backpacking for six months. We spent the next two hours chatting and then giving me tips on Thailand and Indonesia before the left for their bus headed north. I then headed out for an early dinner in a small vegetarian restaurant and then back to the hostel for a shower and an early night. In my dorm room I met the most unlikely traveller, a 70 year old Korean-American solo female backpacker. Myself and the rest of the travellers in the room (two Swiss girls and a German guy) spent the next hour listening to her travel stories in absolute awe. She has spent the last two years backpacking from San Francisco to Laos. Life goals right there. I went to bed that night picturing the next 50 years of my life travelling around the world!

    Day 4
    The main reason I stopped in Pakse was to see the Wat Phu temple which is actually an hours drive south of the town. As I refuse to drive a scooter the only option to get there was to hire a tuk tuk for the day at £20. Luckily, as it was raining, the Swiss girls decided to join me as they didn’t want to drive their scooter tour in the rain, so I was able to split the cost with them. Our driver was very nice and dropped us at the entrance of the temple and would wait until we were finished exploring. Wat Phu was built around the same time and in the same style as the temples of Angkor Wat, and although it isn’t as grand as it’s more famous counterpart and not as preserved, it is still worthy of a visit. Especially as it doesn’t have the crowds of Angkor wat so you can fully appreciate the serenity of the place. We spent an hour walking around the complex, which is set over four tiers of a hill, taking in the views from each level, before heading back to our tuk tuk. On the way back to town we stopped at the base of the giant Golden Bhudda and climbed the 200+ stairs up the hilltop to take in the view of the city. The Buddha itself looked better from a distance (the gold paint showing cracks up close) but the city view was worth the climb (sort of). We then climbed back down to meet our driver and head back to the hostel where I packed once again ready for my night bus to the capital, Vientiane.

    So there you have my few days in the south of Laos. Next stop, the backpacker hub of the north!

    La kone!
    Read more

  • Day46


    October 25 in Laos

    Heute war mal wieder ein Plan- und Relaxtag. Ein bisschen Bewegung/Kultur musste allerdings auch sein. So fuhren wir über die Nippon Bridge - einzige Brücke über den Mekong, die von Laos nach Laos und nicht ins Ausland führt - Richtung Golden Buddha. Auf den vielen Stufen nach oben hieß es dann: Schweiß, trief, tropf. Trotzdem natürlich immer schön lächeln, denn "Western People" sind hier eher rar und so wird einem ständig von Kindern zugewunken und man wird lieb begrüßt oder soll mit aufs Foto - wenn sich jemand ganz Mutiges traut zu fragen. Denn insgesamt sind die Laoten bisher sehr freundlich zurückhaltend.Read more

  • Day50

    Haben heute unsere 3-Tages-Bolaven-Plateau-Rundfahrt beendet. Ein bisschen aus dem Ort heraus mit wenig Verkehr, breiten Straßen und tollem Panorama konnte man das Fahren so richtig genießen. Eines der schönsten Dinge für mich: Im Fahrtwind oder nachts mit Trägershirt unterwegs sein, ohne zu frieren. Herrlich!!!Read more

  • Day45


    October 24 in Laos

    Nach dem letzten Tag im Green Climbers Home (nochmal zum nahegelegenen Fluss getrekkt mit Nick) sind wir pünktlich zu einem der wichtigsten buddhistischen Feiertage in Pakse angekommen. Das Ende der Monsunzeit wird gefeiert mit fliegenden Laternen und leuchtenden Booten (beides mitgemacht) und diversen volksfestlichen Aktivitäten.Read more

  • Day204


    July 19, 2017 in Laos

    Als nächstes ist nun also die drittgrößte Stadt von Laos unser Ziel. Mit 110.000 Einwohnern leben hier nur knapp weniger als in Savannakhet und trotzdem ist es gleich ein ganz anderes Pflaster. Die Stadt ist viel aktiver und die Umgebung hat auch für uns mehr zu bieten.

    Zunächst entschließen wir uns für einen Ausflug in das naheliegende Bolaven-Plateau. Um es vorweg zu nehmen, wir wollen das Plateau sehen, das Plateau wollte uns aber nicht da haben.
    Mit gemieteten Rollern machen wir uns auf den knapp 1000m hohen Anstieg. Wir haben geplant ein paar der schönen Wasserfälle zu besuchen und zwischendurch bei Pho 43 eine Mittagspause einzulegen. Dies ist eine Suppenküche, die von zwei Laoten geführt wird, die 35 Jahre lang in der Schweiz gelebt haben und daher “Deutsch“ sprechen.

    Wie die Füchse, die wir sind, haben wir uns für alle Eventualitäten vorbereitet, von Badehose bis Regencape. Die Straße ins Plateau ist nicht sonderlich schön, sondern häufig kaputt oder sogar unfertig. Allerdings kommen wir durch viele kleine Dörfer am Straßenrand, wobei wir mal wieder ein bekanntes Muster erkennen. In jedem Dorf konzentriert sich der Großteil der Bevölkerung auf ein bestimmtes Handwerk. Zuerst säumen viele kleine Stände, gefüllt mit allerlei Obst die Standstreifen der Straße. Unmengen an Ananas und Durian (schon von weitem war das zu riechen) und die ein oder andere Jackfrucht. Nur ein paar Kilometer weiter türmen sich am Wegesrand Rattan und Bambus Produkte auf, von Körben über Matten bis zu Besen gibt es hier alles zu kaufen. Im nächsten Dorf erwartet uns schon der schallende Klang von Metall auf Metall. Überall befinden sich kleine Werkstätten, in denen Feuer lodern und die Einheimischen auf Ambossen Werkzeuge produzieren. So geht der Weg ins Plateau hinein, wo es langsam aber deutlich immer weniger Häuser werden.

    Am ersten Wasserfall angekommen, ist das Wetter noch schön, ganz allein genießen wir den reißenden Fluss und das (insgesamt) knapp 62m hohe Gefälle. Es fängt ein wenig an zu regnen, aber der Regenschirm reicht aus, um uns trocken zu halten. Nach einer kleinen Pause fahren wir weiter zu unserem eigentlichen Highlight, den 150m hohen Zwillingswasserfällen des Tad Fan, den höchsten in Laos. Der Anblick ist allerdings sofort ernüchternd, es gibt nämlich keinen. Wolken haben sich in dem Tal niedergelassen und scheinen hier so schnell nicht wieder verschwinden zu wollen. Wir sind vielleicht ungefähr eine Stunde hier und haben original 2min, in denen zumindest einer der Wasserfälle einigermaßen zu sehen ist, ansonsten bleibt alles vollkommen verschlossen.

    Als wir uns dann etwas enttäuscht aber doch noch optimistisch aufmachen zu unserem nächsten Stopp, fängt es leicht an zu regnen. Wir stellen uns kurz unter und warten ab, als es allerdings nicht besser zu werden scheint, werfen wir unsere Capes über und düsen los. Jetzt fängt es richtig an. Der Regen wird immer stärker und schnell beschließen wir den nächsten Wasserfall zu überspringen und direkt zur Suppenküche zu fahren um uns abzutrocknen und aufzuwärmen. Doch je höher und weiter wir ins Plateau fahren, desto stärker und undurchdringlicher wird der Regen. Und als ob das nicht schon schlimm genug wäre, nimmt uns der Nebel auch noch die letzte Sicht.
    Es ist dunkel, der Regen peitscht uns ins Gesicht, der Nebel lässt den Blick keine hundert Meter mehr vordringen. Nach wie vor rasen die Laoten ohne Licht und Verstand über die schlechten Pisten nur haarscharf an uns vorbei. Zu allem Überfluss lässt sich unser Mittagsstopp nicht finden. Als letztendlich auch noch ein Krankenwagen im vollen Einsatz uns von hinten überholt, beschließen wir umzukehren und etwas tiefer im Plateau, außerhalb der Wolken, nach einem trockenen Plätzchen zu suchen.

    Mit dem Wetter hatten wir auf unserer Reise ja schon häufiger nicht so viel Glück, und gerade Asien hat uns oberhalb von 1000m nur selten freundlich empfangen, könnte aber natürlich auch an der Regenzeit liegen. Wie es nun mal so ist, wenn man etwas sucht, findet man es nicht, und wenn man es nicht sucht, stolpert man drüber. Ob es nun ein Tuk-Tuk ist oder ein Restaurant, es ist immer dasselbe. Wir haben ein Restaurant gesucht ... also ab nachhause.
    Als wir endlich nach 40min eiskalter nasser Fahrt den Fuß des Plateaus erreichen, hört der Regen schlagartig auf, die Wolken sind verschwunden und uns schlägt eine angenehm wärmende Luft entgegen. Wir haben es geschafft.

    Die nächsten Tage werfen wir immer wieder einen Blick aus der Ferne auf das Bolaven-Plateau und uns fällt auf, dass es jeden Tag fast gänzlich in den Wolken verschwindet. Dann vielleicht ein andern mal.
    Read more

  • Day107

    A késői érkezésünknek és jó alvókánknak köszönhetően majdnem délután kettőt mutatott az óra, mire előmásztunk a szobánkból, hogy elintézzük a legfontosabb dolgokat Laoszban is: szerezzünk helyi pénzt és működő SIM kártyát.

    Akárcsak Vietnámban (meg úgy igazából minden eddig meglátogatott országban), az igazi kihívást a pénzfelvétel jelentette. Ugyan a hotelünk 30 méteres körzetében 4 ATM-et is találtunk, egyikből sem sikerült pénzt felvennünk. Az egyik szimplán közölte, hogy ezzel a kártyával nem tud mit kezdeni (gondolom a chip lehetett az oka), a másik három meg az egészen mulatságos 1,5-2 millió kipre beállított tranzakciós limitjükkel verte ki nálam a biztosítékot. Ja igen, mert Vietnám után megint olyan országba érkeztünk, ahol a helyi valuta kevesebbet ér, mint két bakfitty. A helyzet azért nem annyira rossz, mint a szomszédoknál, de egy dollárért itt is 8000 feletti laoszi kipet adtak utazásunk alatt.

    Még két másik ATM után úgy döntöttem, hogy kénytelen leszek lenyelni a békát és bankfiókban váltani. Az első fiókban bármennyire is akartak segíteni, sajnos nem tudtak, így mentünk a következőbe. Itt már nem volt probléma, jó sok kezelési költség ellenében 5 millió kippel a zsebemben sétáltunk ki az épületből. Hogy mennyire elaludtunk, az igazából csak akkor esett le, amikor az ügyintézés közepén ránk zárták a fiókot és nekünk is a művészbejárón át kellett távoznunk.

    A SIM kártya ehhez képest tényleg gyerekjáték volt: az első mobilos boltban tudott annyira angolul az eladólány, hogy meg tudjuk beszélni mire lenne szükségem. Végül csak egy hétre vettünk adatforgalmat, de az írás pillanatában, majdnem három héttel később még mindig működik a 3G (illetve hát most pont nem, mert ezt a Mekongon ringatózva írom a dzsungel közepéről, ahol még csak térerő sincsen).

    Hogy mennyire bemákoltuk a szállást, azt az is mutatja, hogy egy saroknyira kiváló éttermeket találtunk, ahol az első, nagyon finom laoszi vacsoránkat is megejtettük. A hotellel szemben pedig találtunk végre egy normális boltot, feltüntetett árakkal és rendes választékkal. Még szerencse, hogy meleg víz este sem volt a szállásunkon, mert így csak egy kicsit estünk szerelembe Pakséval.
    Read more

  • Day113

    Si Phan Don után Laosz fővárosába utaztunk. Az út három etapból állt, amiből ezen a napon az első kettőt sikerült teljes egészében abszolválnunk.

    Reggel 10:30-kor indult a mandula, értünk jöttek egy csónakkal, hogy visszavigyenek minket a szárazföldre. Mivel a szállásunknak is volt saját “kikötője”, oda vártam a csónak érkezését. Így persze alaposan meglepődtem amikor a semmiből egyszer csak megjelent mellettem a kertben egy marcona fószer és kézjelekkel a tudtomra adta, hogy most azonnal indulnunk kell a hajóhoz.

    Az utat Nadasangba visszafele is pont annyira élveztem, mint amikor Don Khonra jöttünk. Van valami elbűvölő ebben a folyóban... Kikötöttünk, majd elsétáltunk az állomásra megkeresni a buszunkat. A második etapban ugyanis visszavittek minket Pakséba, hogy ott várjuk meg az éjszakai járat indulását.

    Hál’ istennek az állomáson mindenki össze-vissza beszélt, hogy mikor és hova kellene mennünk, így kénytelen voltam a kezembe venni a dolgokat. Megkérdeztem a leggyanúsabb busz körül sertepertélő figurát, hogy véletlenül nem ezzel fognak-e minket visszavinni Pakséba. Gyerekek, így legyen ötösöm a lottón! Gyorsan be is pakoltunk és felszálltunk, mert igaz, hogy messze volt még az indulás, de a buszon legalább ment a légkondi.

    Az utazást két vicces momentum is szinesítette. Először is felvettünk két nyugati stoppost, akiknek látszólag fogalmuk sem volt milyen messze van az a hely, ahova el szeretnének jutni, de azért cuccokkal megpakolva gyalog elindultak a legnagyobb melegben a tűző napon. Ha így folytatják egyszer még Darwin díjat fognak nyerni.

    Na de az igazán mulatságos epizód még csak ezután következett: először csak a klíma szállt el a buszon, majd nem sokkal később a motor is megadta magát a hőségnek. Sikerült egy mellékúton félreállnunk, mindenki leszállt, a szegény mechanikussá avanzsált sofőr pedig tanácstalanul nézegette a motorháztető alatt rejtőző gépezetet, hátha magától megoldódik a probléma. Valószínűleg egyébként csak a hűtővíz forrt fel, mert egy kis vízzel és léghűtéssel sikerült először köhögésre bírni, majd be is indítani a motort. Soha ilyen gyorsan nem szálltunk még vissza buszra, érezhetően senki sem bízott benne, hogy sokáig fogja bírni a motor.

    Az égiek viszont jókedvükben voltak és ezután már sima liba volt az út Pakséig. Ismerős helyen, a kedvenc éttermünknél tettek ki minket azzal a felszólítással, hogy aki Vientiane-be utazik, legyen szíves este 7-re visszajönni az utazási irodába.

    Addig pedig szabadfoglalkozás. Ennek jegyében elmentünk először bevásárolni az éjszakai útra, majd beültünk megebédelni a Sabaidee-ba, ahol a pincér már mosolyogva fogadott minket. Maratoni, három órás evést rendeztünk, de mivel nem volt teltház, úgy éreztük csak kicsit éltünk vissza a vendégszeretetükkel.

    Hét előtt pár perccel már a Green Paradise irodájában voltunk, ahol meglepő módon a kutyát sem érdekelte, hogy mi mit csinálunk ott. Negyed nyolckor aztán befutott egy tuk-tuk, ezzel egyidőben a személyzet egyetlen még ott lévő tagja is aktivizálta magát és heves mutogatások közepette jelezte, hogy akkor ezzel kellene most elmennünk a buszhoz. Felpakoltunk a tetőre, majd a német csajszikkal és a francia párral együtt felugrottunk a platóra és már száguldottunk is - a három saroknyira lévő buszpályaudvarra. Úgy látszik Laoszban valaki nagyon szereti a “Sok hűhó semmiért” című drámát...

    Amíg a busz indulására vártunk jót dumáltunk a szigetek óta velünk utazó francia párral. Elmeséltük egymásnak a horror utazós sztorijainkat, őket például a thai-kambodzsai határon hagyta ott a buszuk mert nem voltak hajlandóak fizetni a korrupt határőröknek. Az sem lehetett egy egyszerű menet!

    Este fél kilenckor aztán végre eljött a felszállás és az indulás ideje is, de erről és az utazásról már csak a következő bejegyzésben fogok mesélni.
    Read more

  • Day15

    Onwards to Pakse

    October 13, 2017 in Laos

    We left our home at Pomelo to begin our long journey to Vietnam. We were picked up by an unusual tuk tuk (like a motorbike and sidecar) and taken to the top of Don Khon then a boat took us across to the Nakasang on the mainland. From here (with no directions) we had to walk to the other side of the town to find the backpacker central of a bus station! We had our tickets checked and waited to be herded like cows onto multiple minibuses heading across Laos. We got packed onto an already almost full minibus where Kerry got into the front middle seat with lack of head and leg room and David near the back. 3 hours later we arrived in Pakse, a tourist stopover town. Here we were able to book our next leg of the journey, another early morning bus, and find a cheap hotel room (but with air con!) We had a relaxed evening with a wander through the market, sunset cocktails on a rooftop terrace and a pizza at a little Italian.Read more

You might also know this place by the following names:

Xé Dôn, Xe Don

Join us:

FindPenguins for iOS FindPenguins for Android

Sign up now