Ras Kisauni

Discover travel destinations of travelers writing a travel journal on FindPenguins.

13 travelers at this place

  • Day28

    Mombasa 1

    February 2 in Kenya ⋅ ☁️ 29 °C

    La gare du Madaraka express pour Mombasa est flambant neuve. L'infrastructure et le train sont chinois, comme pour le Addis-Djibouti en Ethiopie. Bonne illustration du nouveau rôle de la Chine dans ce coin du monde. Nos voisins de train se lâchent sur les canettes de bière (pour monsieur) et les hot dogs (pour madame). 4h30 plus tard on est accueillis à Mombasa par un taux d'hygrométrie de folie. A partir de là, il faut laisser tomber l'idée de se sentir frais. Balade dans la vieille ville et le Fort Jésus, entre minarets rigolos et et portes sculptées. Les influences de Oman nous mettent dans l'ambiance pour la suite du voyage. Likoni Ferry, matatu puis tuktuk jusqu'à Diani Beach pour 3 jours de grosse-patating au bord de la mer. Les dernières nouvelles du coronavirus nous font considérer un autre itinéraire. Ca commence à sentir le sapin pour la route de Pékin!Read more

  • Day29


    September 27, 2019 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Am 26.9. hatten wir dann einen langen Reisetag. 3 Stunden mit dem Bus von Embu nach Nairobi und von dort nochmal 5 Stunden mit dem Zug nach Mombasa. Die Zugfahrt war aber sehr schön und führte uns durch den Tsavo Nationalpark, sodass wir viele wilde Tiere und eine tolle Landschaft vom Zug aus sehen konnten. In Mombasa ging es dann nochmal um die Themen berufliche Bildung sowie Interreligiöser Dialog & HIV-Prävention. Außerdem haben wir die Altstadt erkundet und eine Moschee besucht. In den letzten Tagen haben wir auch ein bisschen gefeiert und unsere neuen Tanzskills aus Embu im Nachtleben von Mombasa umgesetzt. Es war ein schöner Abschluss unserer Reise und von unserem Geographiestudium 😊Read more

  • Day98

    Mombasa, Kenya

    March 22, 2015 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Big change from the quiet, idyllic beach setting of the Seychelles to the bustling dirty city of Mombasa. We left the boat at 7:30am aboard a Toyota minivan with a poptop heading for the largest game reserve in Kenya, Tsavo East. It was about a 2-3 hour drive from Mombasa on the main highway leading from Mombasa to the inner countries of East Africa and was packed with trucks taking containers from the port. It was narrow with a big drop off on the shoulder so that if one of the trucks actually runs off the road it may very well flip over (We saw one that had done just that on the trip). Of course the driver of the van, and every other driver on the road was passing the slow moving trucks like they were standing still. Often getting back into the lane just inches in front of the truck as a similar sized semi passes. Fortunately the drivers there were fairly tolerant of the chaos and we made it there alive. :-)
    The drive through the park was safer although when we pulled off the road into some bush and the driver told us to look at the lion and we realized he was pointing to the sleeping one under a bush about 20 feet from the jeep we were having second thoughts. :-) Fortunately for us we look too big to eat for the lion and he just seemed more annoyed that we woke him up then dangerous.
    Lunch at the restaurant overlooking a watering hole was pretty special though. The lodge had an underground tunnel that went out to a bunker right at the water hole level so you could be at ground level right under the animals as they come up to drink. We had been watching this <1 week old baby as his mother crawled over the little rock wall that held in the water. He went crazy running around from each of the other females in the herd until he finally sniffed her out and was able to crawl over a short area and get to her. Then after watering for a while she wandered back over the wall and he just couldn't follow her. The last two pictures captured how wonderful and gentle these animals are when Mom very tolerantly came back and reached down and lifted the baby with her trunk.
    We didn't go into the city the next day since we didn't want to spoil our impression of the wild Kenya with the reality of the 40%+ unemployment rate and filth that was the main city of Mombasa. We have not seen a poorer country or worse living conditions then we saw in some of the areas in the outskirts of Mombasa on our travels to date and did not really want to dive head first into it. Ali and Jeff did though the next day and you can read their impression on their blog.
    Read more

  • Day6

    Nairobi to Mombasa

    September 21, 2019 in Kenya ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Another early start today and we're wondering if we'll ever get a lie in on this trip. This morning we are taking the train from Nairobi to Mombasa, a 5 hour journey. We decide to sit in the standard class with our new Australian friends, Sof and Clay, as we all didn't want to dish out 3x the price for a first class ticket. The receptionist at the hostel who kindly books the tickets for us lets us know there is a mandatory booking fee we have to pay extra for. We're happy to pay as we're booking the tickets incredibly last minute. It's only later we find out when booking our return ticket that there is no extra booking fee. Oh well.

    Before getting on the train, we have to pass through airport-style security. Chris is taken to the side and asked about the swiss-army knife that he has inside. The security guard suggests that he can hold it here for us, on the condition that we bring him back something nice from Mombasa. He then changes his mind and says that Chris can keep it now. "How much is it worth?", he asks. Chris tells him that it's worth about $20. "Well if you put 2000 KSh in your bag, you might find your swiss knife has been returned." Chris grabs the money, and plunges it to the bottom of his bag. The security then rifles through the contents, and returns the luggage. Sure enough, the penknife is where Chris left the money.

    The train ride is fairly hot and goes by pretty slowly. But we pass time along the way spotting big game in Tsavo National Park which the train tracks somehow go through. We spot red elephants which are native to the park and think we see some camels as well. We try to double check but the train is going by too fast. We decide that we definitely saw some camels.

    Stepping out of the train terminal we are confronted by the heat wave of Mombasa. Hot and sticky we say our goodbyes to the Aussies who are headed towards Diani Beach and we board our first matatu (shared bus-taxi) to the centre. We are awarded the last two seats on the bus and struggle to not hit any of the other passengers with our luggage. It's safe to say we definitely said sorry to far too many people on the bus that day.

    We've heard good things about Mombasa. But to be honest, those people are wrong. Our hostel, as recommended by Lonely Planet, consisted of a large room with spartan beds not covered by mosquito nets - a problem that is highlighted to us as large swarms of mosquitoes fly through the broken windows and prison style iron barred door. The bathroom was additionally shared with staff who took suspiciously long showers. At least it's only for one night.

    We decide to leave our charming hostel and venture into the streets to see what the hype was about Mombasa. After walking less than 100 metres we're approached by a man who asks us for money for medicine. We politely say no and try to part ways but not before he attempts to show Chris what he needs medicine for by unzipping his fly. Back to the hostel it is!

    We spend the evening watching the sunset over the roof. Overhead are millions of bats flying around the harbour which is quite mesmerising. Still, we can't wait to get on the road again tomorrow.
    Read more

  • Day81

    Mombasa, oh boy

    March 22, 2016 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    To be honest, this city's rough: Sellers are aggressive, smells are abundant and strong, garbage everywhere, but that's not new... We stayed in our usual cheaper guesthouses, but this one actually felt like a neighbourhood wasn't one I would mess around at dark in... They mostly say not to be out anywhere in Kenya after dark, but I believe it here. I felt safer in Nairobi, which says a lot. That being said, I'm a smart girl. I keep my stuff close, stay polite, yet firm. That's what we've learnt so far. 

    We got to Mombasa around 12pm from Watamu, just enough time to walk around old town, explore the old port, beautiful carved doors again, gorgeous balcony architecture... Crossing some people welcoming us, and some looking at us just creepily enough to make me keep walking. We got to the Fort Jesus, main attraction here, and spotted other tourists at the door. My goal was to ask if it was worth visiting, but they were just heading in with their own guide and invited us to tag along. Free guide! Entrance fees were 800 as per our lonely planet, which we thought was expensive, but getting to the gate they were actually 1200! Again, student cards save the day! They let us pay the "under 16" price of 600 instead. Score! 

    The Fort was our first bit of true history on the country. We've seen cultural history, tribal history, but not the whole Portuguese coming in 15?? And Omanis taking over to then be over taken by the English or something along those lines... It's funny, during these tours, I'm super interested and curious, and the second I leave those gates I forget everything that was just said to me. But the Fort was cool! Lol. The doorways had a mix of Portuguese, Arabic, and Muslim carvings. And of course there's the obligatory clay pot museum that I sat outside to get a nice breeze. It's still brutally hot on the coast - averaging 34 C during the day and 27C at night. 

    We didn't get to doing the spice market on the same day as the old town, so we set off to it in the morning before moving on to Diani beach. Turns out, we found a bunch of fantastic materials we plan to use for our hookah lounge / pillow pile! We have all these great plans for our apartment, the only thing missing is the actual apartment that won't happen for another 3 months... Lol. Successful morning! 
    Read more

  • Day7

    Lazy Day

    September 21, 2018 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Had initially planned to take a trip to Malindi, see the Gedi ruins today later changing to a visit to Diani beach, but the hassle (ferry crossing, 2hr trip) and cost (costing Ksh 5,000 one way on uber) was just too much just to see Diani beach. So I decided to spend this last day enjoying my Voyager resort.

    Woke up at 9:23am changed without bathing to catch breakfast before it winds up at 10am. Came back and took another short nap.

    Left the Resort in the afternoon hoping to have lunch at the beach bar & restaurant I identified yesterday. As I walked along the beach I noticed that the tides had risen so much making it impassable, so I diverted and tried to walk through the hotels and resorts by the beach but met a fence and had to exit through one of the resorts onto the main road. Changed my mind and went to Maasai Restaurant for lunch. Was craving swallow and soup so I improvised by asking for vegetables, mashed potatoes and Nyoma Choma. Was shocked when the vegetable turned out to be a bowl of vegetable salad. Fortunately, the Nyoma came with some tomatoes sauce.

    The A-Team put on an incredible acrobatic / dance show at 9:00pm.

    Left for Anuba night club at Nyali centre after the show, spent about an hour before transferring to Hypnotica club in the same centre which had better music with a younger and more vibrant crowd. Naija songs are quite popular in Kenya. I finally left the club at 3am with an Uber back to the resort while some guest were just arriving.
    Read more

  • Day1


    September 2, 2016 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Nach einigen Schwierigkeiten sind wir sechs nun gut in Mombasa angekommen. Bereits am Flughafen in Frankfurt ging es mit vielen Unklarheiten und Fragezeichen in den Gesichtern los. Etwa 20 E-Mails und dutzende Anrufe hatte Hanna im Vorfeld getätigt um den Flug von Frankfurt nach Mombasa möglich zu machen. Wir wurden gebeten 4 Stunden vor Abflug vor Ort zu sein, damit der schwere Rollstuhl verladen werden kann. Als wir ankamen wussten weder die Angestellten vom Flughafen noch von Condor über die Abmachungen Bescheid. Nach gefühlten zwei Stunden des Wartens und Abklärens haben wir letztendlich doch Betten für die Wartezeit zu Verfügung gestellt bekommen. Nach etlichen Stunden des Wartens schauen wir auf die Uhr und merken dass es nur noch 15 Minuten bis zum Boarding ist und wir noch immer im Warteraum festsitzen. Die Angestellten versicherten uns, dass wir nicht vergessen wurden, sich jedoch alles etwas verspätet. Als die Rollstühle ankamen und wir endlich los durften, hetzten wir durch den Sicherheitscheck um anschließend feststellen zu dürfen, dass das Boarding bereits angefangen hat und wir warten mussten, bis alle Passagiere eingestiegen sind. Der Flug verlief dann an sich reibungslos.

    In Mombasa angekommen, wurden wir bereits mit den Rollstühlen empfangen und waren sehr froh darüber, dass beide E-Rollstühle heil angekommen sind. Die "Taxifahrt" zur Villa hat uns jedoch gleich auf den Boden der Tatsachen zurück gebracht. Unsere beiden Rollstuhlfahrer sollten zusammen in einem kleinen Van fahren...hierfür mussten erst einmal noch ein paar Sitze ausgebaut werden. Das bedeutet 2 Kenianer bauen den Sitz aus, die restlichen 13 Männer stehen drum herum und geben ihre Kommentare dazu ab. Am Schluss verlangen alle Trinkgeld. Die Fahrt war, wie ihr euch schon denken könnt, sehr sehr holprig. Die Fahrt von Mombasa nach Diani Beach könnt ihr euch anhand der Bilder etwas vorstellen ;)
    Read more

You might also know this place by the following names:

Ras Kisauni

Join us:

FindPenguins for iOSFindPenguins for Android

Sign up now