Doi Inthanon

Here you’ll find travel reports about Doi Inthanon. Discover travel destinations in Thailand of travelers writing a travel blog on FindPenguins.

31 travelers at this place:

  • Day112

    Karen People - Hill Tribe Village

    December 18, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    We visited a hill tribe village located in the national park Doi Inthanon. The climate is perfect for year round farming, so the Karen are able to produce most of what they need to live. We saw all kinds of fruit trees including mango, dragon fruit and tamarind. And a variety of crop fields (rice, corn, onions, garlic). The Karen people live in raised houses and keep their animals underneath. One of their only market crops is coffee. We had a chance to see the bushes where the red cherries come from, the press that extracts the bean, the racks of drying beans, and the roaster. Lara used a hand grinder to grind her own beans for a very fresh cup of coffee that hadn’t travelled more than a few metres land to cup. The kids, of course, found several animals to play with and Geoff had a chance to visit the local school.Read more

  • Day222

    Doi Inthanon - Auf der Spitze Thailand's

    January 12 in Thailand ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    From Chiang Rai we continued to Chiang Mai. Chiang Mai is a much bigger city, but we weren't there to see the city. We rented a motorbike and drove to the Doi Inthanon National Park. Doi Inthanon is the highest mountain of Thailand. It is 2565 meters high and very easy to reach, as the highway is going all the way up to the top. We expected great views from there but the peak is in the middle of the jungle.

    Von Chiang Rai ging es schon wieder weiter nach Chiang Mai. Chiang Mai ist eine deutlich größere Stadt mit vielen Bars, Kneipen und Restaurants. Aber um ehrlich zu sein sind wir nicht wegen der Stadt und den vielen Tempeln hier, sondern eher wegen den Nationalparks. Mit einem Roller ging es in den Doi Inthanon Nationalpark, der nach dem höchsten Berg Thailand's benannt ist. Der Doi Inthanon ist 2565 Meter hoch, aber perfekt zu erreichen da eine gut ausgebaute Straße bis nach oben führt. Am Gipfel hatten wir auf eine spektakuläre Aussicht gehofft, allerdings ist der Gipfel mitten im Dschungel. Es hat sich dennoch definitiv gelohnt dort hin zu fahren auch wenn unser Roller kein Fan von dieser Tour geworden ist. Berg auf kamen wir kaum schneller als 30km/h vorwärts und am Gipfel hatten wir zu allem Überfluss noch einen Platten. Leider konnte uns am Gipfel nicht einmal das Militär helfen und den Reifen wechseln, sodass es für uns 20km bergab zu zweit auf einem Roller mit Platten Reifen ging. Nach ein bisschen gesuche im ersten Dorf unterhalb des Gipfels und in der zweiten Werkstatt konnte uns dann endlich geholfen werden. Auf zwei Rädern ging es dann die restlichen knapp 90km zurück nach Chiang Mai.
    Read more

  • Day113

    Doi Inthanon National Park

    December 19, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Today we took a trip to a nearby national park. It was really nice to be out in the fresh air and away from the hustle and concrete of Chiang Mai. We started at the Wachirathan waterfall and finished at the royal pagodas (twin chedis) of the former king and queen of Thailand. The pagodas are quite beautiful and ideally located on the highest mountain in Thailand. They are surrounded by large and well maintained gardens.Read more

  • Day113

    Kio Mae Pan Nature Trail

    December 19, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We are at the highest point in Thailand. We spent a couple of hours on this amazing mountain trail with our guide Om. The trail winds its way through a tropical cloud forest jungle, a bio region that is unique to only a spare few places on the planet. The forest is full of moss and ferns that gather moisture from the clouds as they condense on the branches and leaves of the trees. We arrived too late in the day to see the clouds rising out of the forest, but the humidity amongst the trees is a lasting reminder of where the forest gets its water from. We emerged from the forest onto a sub-alpine meadow and spectacular views of the valleys bellow. Before we re-enter the forest, we can see the twin pagodas across the valley.Read more

  • Day10

    Ban Luang

    February 9 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Wir mieteten für 250 Baht (8Fr.)einen Roller (blöderweise mit superglattem Sitz) und fuhren stolze 110 km zum Nationalpark Doi Inthanon. Unterwegs sahen wir wunderschöne Wasserfälle und eine fantastische Landschaft. Auf dem höchsten Punkt Thailands (2113 m.ü.M) steht die Königspagode mit super Aussicht. Wir fuhren glücklich und mit schmerzendem Füdli nach Hause.Read more

  • Day36


    March 23, 2018 in Thailand

    I’ve been blogging with Find Penguins since we started our sabbatical, and it has one major downside. . . You can only attach 10 photos to each posting. This has been a problem from the start, and I’ve often had to break up one day into two postings, just so I could include more photos. But, today the problem is insurmountable . . .

    When we were planning our trip to Thailand, Maya had one request — she wanted to play with the elephants. Ok, that sounded like fun to me. Of course, you can’t play with elephants in Bangkok, or on any of the islands. So, in order to play with elephants, you have to go to Chiang Mai. Ok, that was on my list of places to visit anyway . . . . Being me, I spent quite a bit of time researching various elephants sanctuaries, which are places that treat the elephants humanely, do not allow any riding on the elephants (which is horrible for them), and allow people to feed, bathe and play with the elephants. We decided on the Elephant Jungle Sanctuary, which seemed to be deep in the jungle and was reputed to have lots of elephants. (Elephant Jungle Sanctuary actually owns 82 elephants, which are located in 11 different camps throughout Thailand.)

    We were picked up at our hotel at 8:00 am in a Thai “taxi.” For some inexplicable reason, we had to change taxis three times, as the drivers re-arranged the people on the tour into different configurations. By 8:40, we were finally on our way.

    We spent almost 90 minutes in the taxi, driving through the city, into the countryside, and finally up a long road into the jungle. The drive was slow, hot and bumpy. But, as we arrived, I looked out and saw 6 elephants — 3 adults and 3 babies — in a small valley below us. (Little did I know, during the course of the day we would get to interact with 12 different elephants within this particular family.). I felt a sense of delight as I saw these beautiful creatures and was just thrilled that I’d get to spend a whole day with them.

    After leaving the vehicles, we hiked down a hill, and up to a small structure on the far hill. The staff told us about our schedule for the day — changing into traditional tops, feeding the elephants, feeding them some more, having lunch, making medicine balls for the elephants, feeding them the medicine balls, playing in the mud with the elephants, bathing them, feeding them some more, and going home. Sounded good to me. We were also given some rules for being with the elephants — don’t touch their tail or stand behind them, because they might kick you; they like to be scratched behind their ears and rubbed on their trunks; if you hold food out to them, they will take it from your hand with their trunks; you can put food directly into their mouth; and, don’t run, as it will scare them and they will chase you.

    After hearing the rules, we changed, washed our hands, and were then given enough sugar cane and bananas to fill the pockets on our tops to overflowing. We walked down to the field. The elephants were on one side, and we were at the far end, about a football field away. We were told to shout “bon bon,” and that the elephants were come running. We yelled. They lopped over. It was thrilling. Elephants, being smart creatures, know that “bon bon” means that they will be fed, and they also know that bananas and sugar cane are inside the pockets of the shirts that people wear. So, they came to us, trunks out and searching for food — in your hand, and in your pocket. Feeding them was incredibly fun. And, I immediately fell in love with the two baby elephants. The mom, and the grandma were great, don’t get me wrong. But the babies were totally adorable. I could not stop feeding them, petting them and generally standing as close to them as possible.

    We then went up the hill to get corn stalks to feed to them. Watching them eat the corn was fascinating. First, they picked up the stalks with their trunks. Then, they stepped on an end of the stalk to break it into “bite-size” pieces. Next, many of the elephants stripped the leaves and brown husk off the tender stalks. Then, they popped the green, tasty stalks into their mouths. (I noticed that some of the elephants were a bit less picky, and would eat some leaves and husks, while others were quite careful to strip off anything that was not very green and fresh.). Some of the stalks had pieces of corn left of them. Again, the elephants carefully peeled the husk off the corn before eating it, using their trunks, teeth and feet, in various combinations. So cool to watch.

    After lunch we fed the elephants some more, and then went to the mud pit with them. According to the elephant minders, the elephants like to have mud on their skins, as it helps them cool down. I’m not 100% sure that this is true, but one of the elephants did sit down in the mud and roll around a bit, and the rest of the elephants stood patiently while we rubbed mud over them. Giving the elephants a mud bath was also fun, especially as it gave me an excuse to massage these beautiful creatures without looking like a fool.

    Next stop, the river and waterfalls, to wash the elephants (and ourselves). Spending time in the water was obviously something that the elephants liked, as we got to see them frolicking around, and pushing each other so that they could stand in the waterfall. It was also a pleasure for us, as it was quite hot and the water was really refreshing.

    We ended the day by feeding the elephants again, and just hanging out with them. As I lavishly pet the elephants, I noticed that their hides were much softer after their time in the mud and water. Around 3 pm, we were told that we needed to change back into our clothes and get ready to return. Maya and Arie teased me that I would have to leave the baby elephant behind. I was genuinely sad to go. What a fantastic experience.
    Read more

  • Day13

    Doi Inthanon - roof of Thailand

    December 13, 2016 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Of course there was a huge cloud at the top and we didn't see much :) The peak is 2565m above sea level, named after 7th King. Nothing much to see here though. About 10 minutes awat are two pagodas, for their late King and a queen. King's one is 5m higher because King was 5 years older than a queen. From here you can see Chiang Mai below and they have some pretty nice gardens. Really a beautiful and peaceful place :)Read more

  • Day25

    Über den Wolken...

    September 27, 2016 in Thailand ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    ...waren wir leider nicht ganz. Eher mitten drin (statt nur dabei). Es ging auf den 2.565m hohen (und damit höchsten Berg Thailands) Doi Inthanon. Mir wurde dieser Gipfel auch schon als Großmuttergipfel beschrieben. Dies traf zu, da man bis 50m vor den Gipfel gefahren wird und dann nur noch einige flache Stufen hinauf steigen muss.
    Reizvoller war das Rahmenprogramm mit besuchen an Wasserfällen und Wanderungen durch Reisfelder. Auch haben wir riesige Pagoden, welche dem König und der Königin gewidmet sind besucht. Etwas surreal wirkten diese eiden 60m und 55m hohen Bauten mitten im nirgendwo.
    Read more

  • Day9

    Doi Inthanon

    February 6, 2016 in Thailand ⋅ 🌬 19 °C

    Heute sind wir früh aufgestanden um uns die Blumenparade von Chiang Mai anzusehen - diese findet nur einmal im Jahr statt.
    Wir haben uns ein gemütliches Cafe zum Frühstücken gesucht, dass direkt an der Straße der Parade lag.
    Am frühen Nachmittag begann das eigentliche Abenteuer - wir wollen einen Ausflug zum Doi Inthanon, den höchsten Berg der Umgebung ansehen.
    Dafür haben wir uns einen schnellen Roller gemietet und nach dem ich mich ans Roller fahren gewöhnt hab - war anfangs ein richtiges kleines Klammeräffchen hinten drauf - düsten wir los, durch den thailändischen Verkehr über den Highway. Fast 2 Stunden auf dem Roller, mein armer Hintern.
    Im Nationalpark angekommen, sind wir dann die Berg hoch gefahren und haben noch einen kurzen Zwischenstopp am größten/schönsten Wasserfall Thailands gemacht.
    Es war sehr beeindruckend und einfach toll.
    Danach sausten wir den Berg weiter hinauf, wir wollten ja vorm Sonnenuntergang oben sein. Entgegenkommende Touris sagten wir bräuchten ca. 45 min. - ok das schaffen wir.
    Naja wir brauchen nen bisschen was über eine Stunde, durften dafür aber ohne Eintritt rein und der Parkleiter gab uns 2 min, da der Nebel schon aufzog und wir sonst schlecht wieder runter kommen.
    Also sprinteten wir die letzten Stufen auf der fast 2600 Höhenmeter hinauf. Leider war es schon alles voller Nebel, dass wir nicht mehr wirklich was von der Aussicht sahen, aber dafür war es eine gespenstische Atmosphäre.
    Nach den versprochenen 2 min, wieder hinab, hinauf auf unseren Roller und den Berg und die Serpentinen hinab......nach knapp 500 Metern merkten wir, dass unsere Bremsen nicht mehr richtig packten.....mmmm, lieber absteigen und runter schieben, toll noch knapp 50 km hinab. Im Dunkeln. Und der Nebel kommt, In einen Nationalpark (Jungle). Mit wilden Tieren.....zu Fuß....yippie adventure......
    Aber wir haben scheinbar gutes Karma, unterwegs hielt ein Thai -Pärchen mit ihrem Pick-up an und bat uns ihre Hilfe an. Wir hievten den Roller auf die Ladefläche schnallten ihn fest und setzten uns dazu.
    Eigentlich wollten sie uns nur bis zur Hauptstraße am Fuße des Berges mitnehmen, aber unterwegs fragten sie was unser eigentliches Ziel sei und stellten fest, das es das selbe ist. So brachten uns unsere Schutzengel mit samt Roller bis nach Chiang Mai zurück. Und wir saßen hinten auf einer offenen Ladefläche in einem Pick Up und fuhren 140 auf dem Highway..........und das ist hier ganz normal.
    In Chiang Mai angekommen verabschiedeten wir uns und luden den Roller ab, dabei stellten wir fest, dass die Bremsen nur heiß gelaufen waren und wieder funktionierten - auch hier Glück gehabt.
    Auf dem Nightmarket trafen wir dann noch ein Kanadisches Pärchen vom Vorabend wieder, mit denen wir den Abend noch super schön haben ausklingen lassen.
    Read more

You might also know this place by the following names:

Doi Inthanon, ดอยอินทนนท์

Join us:

FindPenguins for iOS FindPenguins for Android

Sign up now